[AZ-Observing] Mk19c is NOT the designation of our solar system

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 10:17:22 -0700

Fellow Stargazers: My early post about whether "Mk19c" is the "official"
designation of our solar system brought more joking than serious
described) a bunch of hits for firearms with similar designations. After
more refined searching, I have to say that this whole "Mk19c" thing was
an incorrect response (to a question someone asked online). No idea
whether the guy just made it up, or was just confused. Bottom line: If
there's ANY "official designation, it's either "The Solar System" or
"the Sol System." Probably just a matter of preference. I prefer the
latter, since when naming other systems, like the Alpha Centauri System
or the Deneb System, it avoids the need to make adjectives out of proper
nouns ... and that can be a confusing construction for many named stars.
--Dan Heim