[AZ-Observing] Re: M101 for the month of May

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 19:49:52 -0700

Hi Chris,

A great shot! I have it up as my desktop picture so I can admire it for
awhile.
Now for the questions borne of Novice ignorance and curiousity. On your
website there are a couple of statements that I'm pondering over:

"its inclination is less than 1 degree and is face on to our line of sight."

How is this actually calculated and/or figured out? Do all spiral galaxies
have a certain degree of "roundness" so any amount of "obliqueness" can be
corrolated into degrees of "tilt" or other?

"Hordes of faint background galaxies dot this image, most being a leaden
yellow color, dimmed from their great distance through intergalactic dust."

Is this dust causing the "yellowing" galactic or interstellar dust
collecting around the galaxy itself in the plane of or within the
gravitational field of that galaxy? Or an unrelated dark nebula somewhere
between here and there? And / or is this caused because of the general
"dustiness" of the Universe?

Jimmy Ray