[AZ-Observing] Jupiter With Only One Moon Visible Tuesday Night

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 18:55:34 -0400

Passing this on from a post by Eric Jamison on Cloudynights.  For a period of
about 1 1/2 hours on Tuesday, two of Jupiters moons will be behind the planet,
and one in front, leaving only Callisto off to the side.  This event is sort of
rare.  It favors locations east of Arizona, but we will be able to see it here
after sunset   The time range is defined by the period between Io's
disappearance Ganymede's reappearance, which is 5:41 p.m. to 7:12 p.m. MST.
Sunset is at 6:45 p.m., and you should be able to pick up Jupiter by 7:00.

Tom

--------

All times MST

7:47 PM Ganymede (III) Occultation disappearance
5:20 PM Europa (II) Transit start
5:41 PM Io (I) Occultation disappearance
7:12 PM Ganymede (III) Occultation reappearance
7:43 PM Europa (II) Shadow transit start
7:48 PM Europa (II) Transit end
9:04 PM Io (I) Eclipse reappearance