[AZ-Observing] Re: IC2574 (Coddington's Nebula)

  • From: L Knauth <Knauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 13:38:40 +0000

IFN refers to "Integrated Flux Nebulae".  It is ambient gas and dust in our
Milky Way galaxy that is not illuminated by single stars but rather by all the
stars in the galaxy as a whole.  IFN started showing up in the incredibly deep
images being taken by amateurs--strands and patches of wispy reflection and
even low level emission gas and dust found all over--- even at high galactic
latitudes.  It shows up big time in the infrared.  The web site of the chap
trying to catalog and chase the visible side of it all is:

http://www.galaxyimages.com/UNP_IFNebula.html

These are not going to be spectacular in the eyepiece of any 'scope.  The deep
photos stand to be gorgeous.  Take a look at:

http://www.astroworks.com/gallery/ST2000GAL/ic4633.html

Paul Knauth