[AZ-Observing] Re: How small is your "small" telescope?

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:23:41 -0700

Brian, I assume you will keep us amateurs informed if any organizations or
institutions decide to unload themselves of these outdated and unfit "small
telescopes".   :-)
Stan

Brian Skiff wrote:
    In a recent letter to American Astronomical Society members,
dealing with the closing/rejiggering of telescopes and other
facilities, the following phrase is to be found:

> [...]

     ...so the Palomar 200-inch is now relegated to the "small telescope"
category.

     The complete letter, in a variety of formats, can be found at:

http://www.nsf.gov/publications/pub_summ.jsp?ods_key=nsf07052

...to see the general trend toward having two or three really big
telescopes at different wavelengths, and closing everything else
(Arecibo, VLBA, all solar facilities, etc).

\Brian