[AZ-Observing] Grand Canyon Star Party 2013

  • From: Skylook123@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 20:26:23 -0500 (EST)

Grand Canyon Star Party
8-15 June, 2013
This is a reminder  that it's about time to lock down plans to attend the
2013 edition of the Grand  Canyon Star Party. GCSP '13 is the 23nd annual
collaboration between the  National Park Service and astronomers from around
North America to bring  astronomy outreach to Park visitors. The event is held
concurrently on both the  North Rim, coordinated by the Saguaro Astronomy
Club, and the South Rim,  coordinated by TAAA.  The level of public interest
and involvement, and the  opportunity to make major contributions to public
education and awareness, is  profound.

We astronomers act as interpretive rangers, explaining the day and night
sky around the Grand Canyon to the visitors just as the daytime Park Rangers
and  guides explain the geology of the park.  Last year on the South Rim we
had  over 100 astronomers registered with the NPS on site, and more that
1400  visitors for most of the eight nights.  Those astronomers doing day time
outreach had similar opportunities for public contact.  Think 7000 feet
with dark skies.  Visitor flow tends to stop around 10:30 PM, leaving the
rest of the night to our own observing interests.

General  information regarding GCSP, including lodging links, is found at
_http://tucsonastronomy.org/gcsp_ (http://tucsonastronomy.org/gcsp)

If you intend to participate on the South Rim this year, email your
intentions
to me at:
gcsp [at] tucsonastronomy.org.

Lodging  at the Grand Canyon fills fast, so make your plans and
reservations as soon as  possible.  For those astronomers intending to
participate 6 or
more  nights at the South Rim, there are a number of no-cost dry campsites
to be  available.  Requests for a free campsite are accepted beginning March
 1.  Campsites will be reserved until none remain.  If you  intend to
participate for six or more nights and wish consideration for a free  site,
please send an email to me to get on the list.

For further  information and current status on the North Rim, please check
at
_http://www.saguaroastro.org/content/2011GrandCanyonStarPartyNorthRim.htm_
(http://www.saguaroastro.org/content/2011GrandCanyonStarPartyNorthRim.htm)

Please let me know if you're interested in supporting this exciting and
extremely rewarding event for one night, eight nights, or anything in  between!

Hope to see you there!
Thanks,
Jim O'Connor
South Rim Coordinator