[AZ-Observing] Fw: 80 foot signs doting Mesa

  • From: "Chuck" <astrogeoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:39:15 -0700

Reply from Councilman Jones.  Also received the same reply that Peter
received earlier from the Mayor.

proper, it is about Mesa where we can still see the heavens albeit not as
well as far out in the desert.  Real far to be specific. Second, once these
so called sign companies get a foothold it will grow.  Remember this was
tried within the state this past summer ( I believe it called for lighted
signs every 100 feet along highways) and again in Tucson and failed getting
support.  So now they are trying the suburbs of Phoenix so they can set a
precedence and expand from there.

I would ask this?  How many major observatories are in the proximity of
Vegas?  Name one?  I would say let's keep the WOW there and not here!  The
Phoenix light bowl is bad enough already and we certainly don't need to add
to it!   In fact atop the Naval Observatory in Flagstaff on a clear night
that bowl can be seen in the distance and that Mr. Advocate is roughly 135
miles away with the Rim in between.

As for Denny's last time I looked there are small signs along highways
pointing the way but certainly not 80 foot tall, flashing, scrolling or by
video displays.

Chuck