[AZ-Observing] Re: Fun in the Sun today

  • From: Steven Dodder <sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Az Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 02:05:29 +0000

>  Weird looking prominence though ... doesn't show much
> of the usual arc-like structure forced by magnetic fields. Almost looks
> "turbulent." Excellent detail.
>
> Dan Heim

To me, the prominence looks to be the product of one of two possibilities.
First, it is the later stages of a "regular" arcing prominence that has become
detached from the field lines that that begat it and is in the process of
falling back to the surface.  Take a look at the APOD that showed the animation
of that huge CME the other day.  http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110610.html
You'll see something similar toward the end.  Second, it could be the material
you see beneath the large cloud it the rest of the prominence.  In other words,
the prominence is "normal", but extending toward you rather than across your
field of view.  In either scenario, I'm sure it is actually quite turbulent.

Steve Dodder
Coordinator, Grand Canyon Star Party, North Rim

Chairman, SAC Novice Group

Director, Stone Haven Observatory
sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visit my web site at http://www.stonehavenobservatory.com