[AZ-Observing] Friends of the Sky star party - Photos

  • From: "Jon Christensen" <jonc97@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "EVAC -- The List" <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 13:57:37 -0700

Several of us decided to make the trek to Portal last weekend to attend the
Friends of the Sky star party.  Despite the organizer's lack of organization
and the relatively poor location of the star party (it was located close to
several roads so we got regular blasts of automobile headlights) we had a good
time.  While my astrophotography setup baked away on my imaging, I was treated
to views through several scopes, including Chuck and Judy Dethloff's 24 and 16
inch dobonians, Mike Mello's 216 mm Ceravolo through which we also took
pictures of Mars, and many others.
Here is a link to my webshots account where I posted some photos I took while
at the star party:

http://community.webshots.com/album/497140428HGVJpB

In the future if they manage to find a spot away from the car lights and if
they find a way to keep the headlights of those leaving early from blasting us,
it could be a decent star party.  The skies are indeed very dark out there.

Jon Christensen