[AZ-Observing] Farewell image to comet Hartley 103P

  • From: Chris Schur <comets133@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Az-Observing List <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:31:25 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,
This CCD image is quite unlike any other image I have ever processed.  As you
remember, comet Hartley was a bright object last year, providing a fine show
for both visual and photographic observers.  Spacecraft images revealed a
stunning peanut shaped nucleus, and  even city dwellers were able to ferret
this one out when at its brightest.  But now, heading out to the far reaches of
the solar system, the comet is barely visible amongst the flurry of bright
colorful stars of the Monoceros Milkyway.

Since the comet moved considerably during the 2 hours I imaged it last night,
the method of combining CCD images taken with RGB filters separately would have
resulted in thousands of rainbow streaks across the field, with the comet
stationary in the center.  To produce this image, with star streaks the correct
color, I layered 12 copies of the color image of all 12 frames with the stars
stacked and in register over each individual bead in the star trails.  This
when combined with lighten reproduces the trails correctly for color.
fortunately a bright star did not go right over the comet image, and it remains
intact in the center.

The final result you will see here produces a rich spray of spectacular star
colors whizzing by a tawny colored comet during a 2 hour interval.

Here is the Image:

http://www.schursastrophotography.com/newcomets/Hartley021211.html

Clear Skies,

Chris