[AZ-Observing] Re: FLWO

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 00:09:40 -0700

Mike;

My one trip to that site is from the mid 1980's when it was first opened.
We found that the location was poor for our purposes and that was to view
southern constellations.  There is a high ridge to the south that presents a
lovely view of the observatory from the visitor's center and that was
obviously its' purpose.  However, with an observing list in Centaurus and
Scorpius it was quite irritating.

So, we found a spot were there was a turnoff from the main road.  It is
before the center and if I remember correctly it is a left turn as you climb
the mountain.  Our place had enough room for three people and telescopes and
we had a grand time observing that night.  The next day was cut short by a
storm and we hurried down that dirt road before it got too wet and muddy.

So, if you are going with an observing list in Cygnus and Pegasus, have a
great time.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe