[AZ-Observing] Re: Equipment Notes from the Weekend

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:20:13 -0700

Tom;

I would add a few things about your equipment notes.  First, my SCT, I would
never have started down the path toward a Schmidt-Cass if the optics had not
impressed me at Riverside two years ago.  That evening, spent with the
engineer from Celestron, had me considering one of these scopes for the
first time in my life.  And, I am happy with my choice.

Lynn Blackburn's Meade 16 inch f/4.5 taught me something after we were the
two folks who stayed behind.  He showed me a view of the Double Cluster with
and without a Paracorr installed.  Wow, does that make a difference!  The
stars are so much sharper with the Paracorr, no contest.  An impressive
piece of glass from Al Nagler.  I am certain that lots of other folks might
know this, but this is my first time to spend time with one.

Rick Tejera's new eyepieces....the Expanse series from Orion are a very nice
of medium price eyepieces.  Good contrast and eye relief, pretty wide field
of view and sharp across the central 80 percent of that field.  The field is
a little light compared to a good Plossl, but these are wider field
eyepieces.  I could certainly recommend them to someone looking for a good
set of eyepieces.

I certainly is nice seeing the email list chatting about observing and using
scopes and equipment versus howling at the clouds.....me too:))

Take Care;
Steve Coe

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org