[AZ-Observing] Re: Eagle Eye this past Sat.

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 00:15:44 -0700

Thad has a 5X Powermate so super-high powers could be had out there, maybe
even see striations, did anybody see striations? Next thing to squint for
after you've conquered the central star. Fortunately my short f.l. eyepieces
are both Naglers with large 82 degree FOVs. For my 14.5" EQ, the 9mm would
give 994X and the 4.8 would give 1864X, for 70X/inch and 125X/inch. More
power than that I don't really believe in, and if used I don't even think I
could tell where or what I was looking at anyway. Maybe a permanently
mounted 6-inch Astro-Physics on a Paramount could keep itself pointed in the
right direction.

You are so right on the importance of surface brightness, it's one of the
main governing factors. Many planetaries have high surface brightnesses and
thus are good places to look for beautiful detail, with or without
filtering. We were marveling over the Bug Nebula in Scorpius at Vekol last
Friday night which was my first sojourn into deliberate high-power. A
planetary that looks like a galaxy!

I was using Brian's map, which  I got off the HAC site, and the 15.3 and
15.6 stars above and on the side were staying visible. He said in his
article there was a certain star that if it were not visible then you might
as well not try for the central star. I lost that part of the article or
maybe the expanded version published in the magazine had it. Anyone remember
which issue?

Well, your rain-pouring wish came true, now let's see if the clearing-up
part does.

Jack Jones
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Lunar List Awards and
Messier Marathon Co-coordinator
Phoenix AZ
spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jack et al,

For deep sky, I certainly agree, however an object's surface brightness
plays a substantial role in effective high power uses.  I find planetaries
to be the most rewarding under high power.  NGC 2440 is an example which

transparency against good seeing.  And speaking of M57, Brian Skiff has a
great magnitude chart to guide such an experiment.  My hypothesis is seeing
out-weighs transparency, so far the faintest I've gone with the 10" using
Skiff's chart is 16.1 at the All AZ SP last year.  I also think there was a

Let's hope the rain pours, but clears for the weekend.

-FRANK

messages.  Thanks.