[AZ-Observing] EVAC Official Retraction and Announcement

  • From: "David M. Douglass" <dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 10:47:48 -0700

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT.

We thought we had everything covered..   But then found out we did not!
The July edition of the EVAC "The Observer" references (in the Calendar
area.) the Deep Sky Star Party as being at Vekol Rd for both July and Aug.

This is an "official" retraction. EVAC is no longer using this location for
any sponsored event, for reasons previously covered. At this time, there is
no "official" replacement site. The EVAC board is establishing a search
committee to look for a new site.

It should be mentioned that the previously utilized Vekol Rd location is on
BLM land, which is open to the public. However, the Pinal County Sheriffs
Dept, the Maricopa County Sheriffs Dept, and the US Border Patrol have all
"unofficially" but "strongly" suggested that we longer use this site until
such time as the current problems in this area are taken care of. And that
is not expected any time soon.  Anyone going to the Vekol Rd site is doing
so at their own risk.

Repeating (for clarity).. EVAC is no longer using this location (Vekol Rd)
for any sponsored event.

David M. Douglass, President
East Valley Astronomy Club (EVAC)
david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx