[AZ-Observing] Comet Holmes on Monday night

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 12:58:21 -0700

Howdy all;

I had some time on Monday night and it seemed very clear so I made a =
trip to
Eagle Eye, about 70 miles from Phoenix off I-10.

It was clear and a little breezy, great Milky Way and Zodiacal light =
making
a giant "V" in the sky.

Comet Holmes is still amazing.  A comet on the far side of the orbit of =
Mars
that is easily naked eye.  If I directed my vision between the comet and =
the
Double Cluster so that both got averted vision, then the comet is =
obviously
brighter and larger.  It is also easily brighter than the Andromeda =
Galaxy.

I think that my 8X42 binoculars are the best view.  The comet is still =
that
same "jellyfish" shape with a parabolic hood and ragged edge.  It is =
still
in a pretty rich star field and there are 8 stars involved within the =
comet,
even at this low power.

Moving up to the 6" f/8 refractor and a 35mm Panoptic really shows some
detail.  The bizarre comet shape is in front of 24 stars that shine =
through
the coma and the central "spine" is an elongated area about 80% of the
length of the coma and elongated 4X1.  I did not see anything I could =
have
definitely called the pseudonucleus.  It is a fascinating comet and well
worth a trip out of town.

Clear Skies;
Steve Coe