[AZ-Observing] Comet Holmes

  • From: "Keith Parizek" <keithparizek@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 21:06:43 -0700

Hi- Using a 16 Meade Deep Sky my overwhelming impression is the coma is very
granular to my eye,.  I am having trouble seeing a star like nucleus.  Because
of the very symetrical appearance of the coma and lack of emission spectra, I
wonder if the cause of this erruption could have been a collision.  After all
it is cruising out in the asteroid belt is it not?  Would an impact necessarily
generate a spherical coma or are we just seeing a perspective of a coma that
looks spherical from our vantage point?
Regards
Keith Parizek
Rio Verde, Az.