[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet 17/PHolmes - Swan Band filter

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:45:51 -0400

---- Chris Schur <comets133@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Aj, I have a 48mm swan band filter, Ill try to get
> images of the comet with the CCD and well see whats
> out there!

Chris,

I think Lumicon describes the Swan Band fileter as "visual-only", meaning that
there is nearly 100% transmission beyond 650 nm or so, where dark-adapted eyes
are not sensitive.  Unfortunately, cameras are very sensitive in red
wavelengths, making some Lumicon interference filters ineffective for imaging.

Tom