[AZ-Observing] CAS dark sky observing on saturday

  • From: Padraig Houlahan <Padraig.Houlahan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Padraig.Houlahan@xxxxxxxxxx (Padraig Houlahan)
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:58:15 -0700 ()

Coconino Astronomical Society: Dark Sky Observing on Saturday

On Saturday, May 4th, at sunset, the CAS will hold its april dark-sky
observing session at the Doney Mountain Picnic Area, near
the Wupatki National Monument Visitor Center. (See below for a map
and directions.)

This part of Arizona is probably one of the darkest sites in the
nation, so if we have good skies, we should have great views through
our telescopes. A site such as this is ideal for looking at
galaxies, star clusters, and nebulae.

All recipients of this mailing list are invited to come along,
(friends and family are also welcome). This is a good opportunity
to experience astronomy at its best: dark skies, great location,
good telescopes, and the opportunity to meet with others (both
novices and advanced amateurs). You don't need a telescope,
but if you have binoculars, by all means bring them!

New CAS mailing list recipients: A dark sky observing session is
probably one of the most important regular events an astronomy club
organizes, so if you are interested in becoming a CAS member,
this would be a good way to experience the best of what amateur
astronomy, and our club, has to offer.

There is no cost associated with this event as we are on public
lands.

While the elevation is lower than Flagstaff, be sure to dress warmly
- and especially to bring a hat since that's how you lose 90% of your
body heat. If you plan to join us for a few hours, you might also
want to bring some snacks.

If you are concerned about cloud cover being too great, check
our web site to see if we have cancelled, although since haze and
light clouds often clear up or thin out greatly after sunset, we
won't cancel unless it really looks bad.

Any Questions? send email to cas@xxxxxxxxxx, or call me at the numbers
below.

Here's a map to the location:

http://www.nps.gov/wupa/ppmaps/wupamap%2Epdf

To get to the site:

1. Take I40 east from Flagstaff to US89 (exit 201, Country Club).

2. Follow 89 north to the Sunset Crater turnoff (about 20 miles)

3.  Turn right (east) at Sunset Crater Volcano national monument
        and follow it for about 20 miles. About 2 miles past the
        Wupatki Visitor Center is the spur to the south for the
        Doney Mountain Picnic Area.

--
Padraig Houlahan
Lowell Observatory