[AZ-Observing] Best laid plans & an Eclipse

  • From: SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 23:45:03 EDT

Well, I had a Plan. And the Plan was good. It was the flesh that was weak. I
had planned to view the eclipse from the top of the East peak of Thunderbird
Park in Glendale. It's been a WHILE since I've been up there. Long enough
that I hadn't realized the path I used to take at the ramada, while open has
the parking lot at the ramada closed. So down the hill we went to the new
parking area. Up the MUCH longer path to the top. About 1/2 way my wife was
ready to keel over. By this time the eclipse has started. Lindsay & I were
keeping eyes on it through the solar filter I made for the ETX, which by the
way I was lugging up the hill. In one of life's great ironies, I, the
athsmatic in the house felt fine. We decided to head back down and go to the
spot where we hold the public viewings. Got there about 20 minutes before max
eclipse. Thought the ETX it was fun to watch the moon slowly cover more and
more of the sun. I missed the covering of the sunspot groups noted earlier,
but caught them coming out. By my count I saw two really large spots a medium
sized spot and a fairly large grouping of many small spots. My daughter
Lindsay watched through my binoculars, which I fitted with two filters, one
for each eye. We showed the eclipse to a few passers by who were very
appreciative. I missed first contact while we were scaling the hill, but
showed last contact to be at 1921:23.

All in all once we got settled in, we had an enjoyable time. My wife is even
ready to take an eclipse cruise!!!!

Clear Skies
Rick Tejera
Editor SACnews