[AZ-Observing] A Couple More from Chile

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 12:50:07 -0400

Due to freak weather in the Atacama, we had only 3 1/2 clear nights out of 6.
The real treat was meeting up with Felipe Mac Auliffe, an employee of the
European Southern Observatory, who took us to the APEX radio telescope facility
in the Andes.  In order to minimize water vapor, the enemy of astronomy at
millimeter wavelengths, the site is in a plain at 16,000 feet (!).  The
completed APEX telescope overlooks the much larger ALMA array, which is under
construction.  This view overlooks the Chajnantor site of the ALMA array.

http://www.pbase.com/image/135271740

Rather than visually observing with a 24-inch scope, we rented a 4-inch
refractor that enabled some piggyback images.  This is a single 4-minute
exposure through a fisheye lens of the Milky Way at midnight.

http://www.pbase.com/image/135271433

Tom