[AZ-Observing] Re: 2nd Magnitude Geostationary Satellite

  • From: "Bob Christ" <bchrist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:24:28 -0700

I offer this .....

My Clouseau-work surfaced the GOES-N (Geostationary Operational
Environmental Satellite) being positioned in close proximity to where we
viewed the object of discussion.  During the time when we viewed the object
Saturday night, GOES-N was a tad under 4*, Northeast of iota ceti (~ 0h
29m, -5* 3.6).  This satellite is a joint venture between NASA and NOAA and
is used for monitoring weather.  The altitude is 22,300 miles at an apparent
magnitude of 8.51.

Bob Christ