<USS Avalon> The Welcoming by Junior Lieutenant James Monroe

  • From: Anthony Manson <circus_ofde_damned@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Avalon Sim <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 01:58:28 -0700 (PDT)

The Welcoming

by Junior Lieutenant James Monroe

Monroe gathered his things as he tugged upon the two large bags he carried. He
entered the transporter room, and while he was expecting to get transported
instantly, he was instead redirected to shuttlebay 51.

"Is there some reason you can?t transport me?" Monroe asked with a little
annoyance in his voice. Is it that hard to just put fingers on the damn console
and demolecularize my body? As an afterthought in his mind. He was still angry
about his new transfer and his mission, even with the sound encouragement from
Captain Holden. And the two words forming the title "Lieutenant A?ron." A?ron!
Monroe just couldn?t believe it. Hopefully A?ron would have the same backups
Monroe would have when he was assigned to it; that way if A?ron was lost, at
least the mission was in jeopardy.

A?ron, he thought.

The ensign looked at him, "yes sir, the transporters have been inoperable since
two hours ago. There was some sort of malfunction and our engineers are getting
to it. But it won?t be done for a little while."

Monroe sighed, "alright. Thank you, ensign."

Upon entering the shuttlebay, he was found to being huddled into a shuttle
headed directly for the Avalon. It was one of the few last calls for the hour
before lunch. The shuttle took off as Monroe found himself amidst of people he
didn?t know. He assumed they were either engineers from the starbase to help
with some sort of maintenance, or they were indeed the small fraction of crew
of the Avalon. The shuttle landed with a thud and Monroe smirked at that as he
remembered doing the same thing when he was a rookie. Almost everyone did that,
never having the full feel of what they flew.

He looked around the Avalon?s shuttlebay. It was busy with people in and out
and talking with devices in their hands or working upon some other intricate
things. He didn?t know where to proceed. But he did know where he needed to be.
First was his quarters to drop the backs. It was located on deck 4, and then
shore leave until the crew got back. He didn?t have a clue what he was going to
do with the free time. He never had free time at Intel, as if the day was
planned and accounted for by every waking moment.

Walking around the deck, he wondered almost three times before actually asking
the computer. Necessity won over pride, but he couldn?t help but finding it
annoying to actually not ask the computer first. He inwardly shrugged, he got
into the turbolift and proceeded out. The turbolift stopped and a man entered.
Till apparently, who looked directly forward and isolated himself quite well.
Monroe couldn?t help but notice that the guy blocked out the world, it reminded
him of his training. But this one seemed to have made it a life long behavior.

The lift stopped, and not a moment too soon as the silence in the cramped room
and the walls that seem to close in upon him was now suddenly opened. They
stepped out and when Monroe looked around, it didn?t seem like the same deck
plan. Having no urge to ask the computer again, he called after the Trill that
was walking calmly 5 steps ahead of him. He noticed the man was a lieutenant,
senior grade. "Lieutenant, sir..."

The man turned around with eyes that were grey and ghostly as it?s color, "can
I help you?"

"Yes, uh, I need to find section 6. I?m new and well, this isn?t the same- deck
plan I suppose you can call it."

The Trill just nodded, "take a left here, and follow all the way through. Then
make a right." The man just smiled then as he shook his head, "Im going there
myself. I?ll work with you, if you don?t mind."

Monroe nodded as he gripped the bags more firmly, but he put one down quickly
to give a hand shake. "Thank you sir. I?m Lieutenant Monroe."

Monroe noticed the man had hesitated ever so slightly but it wouldn?t have been
noticed by the untrained eye. The guy was good, and he was sure that this Trill
wasn?t an agent; he didn?t blend in and the isolated nature he held about him,
although not completely isolated, was enough to tell him that. Almost all
operatives had a demand for blending in.

The lieutenant shook his hand with a firm grip, "I?m lieutenant Manson and
Welcome aboard the Avalon."

Monroe nodded as he let his freed hand now take the bags. "Thank you, sir."

"Call me Anthony." The lieutenant just said simply as he began to take pace
with Monroe.

"Um, if it?s alright, I prefer Manson."

The Trill just nodded, "alright."

There was an awkward silence, but Monroe broke first, "so where are you
stationed at?"

"I?m the Operations officer. How about you?"

"I?ve been put with Tactical Team under command of... Lieutenant Commander
Karg, I think." Monroe wasn?t all too sure, nevertheless, he?d find out soon or
later.

Manson nodded on last time as they stopped at an intersection leading left and
right only. "Well, I go this way. If you need anything, just call."

"Thanks," as Monroe made a right and looked down the series of doors to his
quarters. He entered the dark empty quarters and a few seconds later he dropped
the bags and flung himself on the bed. The only question now loomed, what to do
now with shore leave?