<USS Avalon> The Transfer by Junior Lieutenant James Monroe

  • From: Anthony Manson <circus_ofde_damned@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Avalon Sim <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 21:13:13 -0700 (PDT)

The Transfer

by Junior Lieutenant James Monroe

James Monroe entered the office of his commanding officer, Captain Holden. He
respected the man deeply as the captain had taught him everything he knew in
his career with Starfleet Intelligence, and he considered the captain a close
friend. While it was a mild surprise that the Captain, in his busy schedule,
wanted to see him; it was also unusual. Meetings of this nature was rarely held
with the captain. If anything, the captain had made it a point that any and all
meetings were with the Intelligence cell he led. If there was a personal
meeting, it was usually some sort of drastic change in plans. Or if someone was
being reassigned to another cell.

The well lit room had a window with a nice view of the interior of the
Starbase. The various crafts cruising around busying with their duties. He saw
his mentor seating down, busying himself with the computer terminal and a
single PADD in front of him. There was a heaviness in the room that said
everything, and contradicting as it was, said nothing. It irritated Monroe.

"Have a seat, Lieutenant." Holden said simply as he pushed the terminal away
and sat up a little straighter. When Monroe sat and looked at Holden, the
captain continued, "Intel has informed me that you will be transferred to the
U.S.S. Avalon. Effectively immediately."

Monroe face changed to utter surprise. He hadn?t placed a transfer in, nor had
he thought Intel would do this now. "Sir, is there a reason why I?m being
transferred? Especially now?"

Holden nodded, "actually they said that you need field experience. Particularly
on a starship. They feel that while you are an able operative, they
nevertheless want you to go."

"Don?t you think it?s a little... sudden? I mean, what about my mission to
Dorvan V?"

"I know, Monroe, I know. But it?s been reassigned to Lieutenant A?ron."

Monroe looked at him incredulously, "sir, with all due respect, A?ron is not as
qualified as I am. I have more experience then he does. Isn?t there something
you could do to delay it?" Dorvan V was his mission. He spent weeks training
and preparing himself for the conditions he would face there. The planet was
already being constantly fought over by the colonist and the late Cardassian
Union. It was rumored that Starfleet positions within the Federation borders
were being leaked to the Cardassian military. It was suspicion, with only one
direct link of evidence to an encrypted intercepted message to the Cardassian
high command. It wasn?t proof, but it was enough to raise heads up in the
chains of command of Starfleet Intel. With that, Holden and his cell were
selected for this mission. And now Monroe was being taken out of this and
replaced with a Lieutenant that wasn?t even part of the cell.

Field experience they said, it sounded like an ill formulated excuse for no
apparent reason.

Holden shook his head, "I tried keeping you with us; you a valuable member in
my cell, Monroe, and you know how much I hate losing my team. I even tried
calling in my favor with Admiral Yos, but it truly is out of my hand." He
looked at Monroe, as the air around the man seem to shimmer with a fine line of
anger. But Holden tried with a more optimistic tone, "look at it this way
James, you?re on an Intel ship with a good captain, and a good crew. Intel has
nothing but high regards for the Avalon. So you?ll probably like this change in
assignments."

Monroe heard Holden?s sincere words, and appreciated it. "How long will I be
sent out? And when do I leave?"

"Currently, most or all the Avalon crew is on shore leave. Captain," Holden
looked at the PADD, "Captain Flubb is under command of the Avalon. You?re to
report to him, and you will be under the Security Tactical Team. Also, you have
two days to get your things together, and the remainder of shore leave is yours
as well until the Avalon crew returns for duty."

"Are there any further orders, sir?"

"Surprisingly, no there aren?t. Just starship experience."

Monroe nodded, but became thoughtful for a moment, "you really think this is a
good idea?"

Holden nodded, "I may not be a starship captain, but it would nevertheless be a
good thing. You never know, maybe when you return, you?ll find out you actually
like space more than hopping from planet to planet." Holden smiled, "and when
you return I want to hear stories. As all of us in the cell wants to."

Monroe allowed a small smile as he was reassured by the person he trusted most.
"Alright," Monroe hesitated a little, "alright. I can do this. If anything,
this would be like a very long weekend."

Holden nodded as Monroe got up, "dismissed. Oh and Monroe," he said almost
forgetting. Monroe looked back, "good luck, Lieutenant."

Monroe nodded and walked out as the doors wisped shut behind him.