<USS Avalon> Talea Seeks Counsel

  • From: CmdrSkyler@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 06:36:23 EDT

Talea Seeks Counsel
by
Dr. Alexis  Cazook
Ensign Talea Genot Erridim

Sickbay, psionically-shielded  room

------

As the Captain departed after the phaser-power alarm  sounded, Talea tried to
relax for a bit, but realized her mind was  troubled.  Hoping the doctor
could help and had time to do so, she tapped  the comunit on. "Erridim to
Cazook.
Sorry to bother you, ma'am, but I  could use some advice."  She then tapped
the unit off, suspecting Alexis  would respond by coming to her, which was her
intent and need.

Hearing  the alarm had startled Alexis, and she wondered if there would be
incoming  wounded. To this end, she had started to prepare sickbay when she was
paged by  Talea. "I will be right with you, dear." Putting down her supplies,
Alexis  walked across the main sickbay to the psionically-shielded room and
knocked. She  didn't want to just walk in and intrude on Talea's privacy. Lord
knows she was  just starting to trust her.

Talea chuckled softly, as she  expected the doctor was being cautious.
"Enter, Doctor.  I am dressed  properly."  She used that rather than the "I'm
decent!"  she had heard  from others in the past, only to discover they were
not
clothed after all.   She was not entirely certain she wasn't distracting the
doctor from duty, in  fact, and felt a little guilty because of that
uncertainty.

Pausing  momentarily, Alexis entered the room.  She found Talea sitting on
the edge  of the bed.  Walking over to the nearest chair, she sat and tried to
make  herself comfortable. "How are you doing, Talea?  Having any bad
flashbacks  or anything of that nature?"

Talea chuckled.  "Not  exactly.  The real problem is just that there are
essential differences in  the regulations the Starfleet Marines and Starfleet
follow.  The same is  true, although to a lesser extent, between the RSDF and
RSMC."  Her face  showed her concern.  "How to properly explain this,
especially
if what I  fear has happened has truly happened, and one or more of those who
assaulted me  are now dead?" She got off the bed and crossed back to the
conversation area,  settling in the lesser of the two chairs.  "To make matters
worse, I fear I  may have disrupted your duties by this call.  That is unjust
on
my part,  especially if you get in trouble because of me."

"I have yet to be  called to the scene of any disturbance.  I will admit that
the alarm going  off did startle me.  One doesn't expect phaser fire on their
own  ship."  Taking off her bifocals and letting them hang by their chain,
Alexis rubbed her eyes.  "Nothing you have done is wrong or unjust.   If, and
that is a big if, someone was killed, I am sure someone has a good  reason,
although I don't think the Captain is going to agree with it.  I  don't know
anything about Marine regulations and such, but I do know that  Captain Skyler
isn't going to tolerate anyone taking the law into their own  hands.  Just as
she
hasn't tolerated the way you have been treated."

Talea nodded.  "There is the risk that certain actions legal to  Captain
Phillips, should he have taken them, will be taken as his having acted  as a
vigilante, when in fact, his actions probably are quite legal, if somewhat
irregular, in both Starfleet's Marine Corps and the Regellian Space Marine
Corps.
For example, he could easily have considered the actions of the man  who
actually engaged me in the Pit as dishonorable and even, perhaps,  treasonous.
Under the regulations of both the SFMC and RSMC, he would be  within his rights
as
company commander to deal with the issue with High Justice,  if he believed
it necessary, although the relevant regulations are flagged as  "wartime-only"
in the RSMC.  One of the things I was briefed on before I  was permitted to
come here was the regulations of Starfleet and the differences  between them
and
Regellian regulations dealing with the same issues."  She  shrugged.
"Familiarity of that level doesn't make me a legal expert by any  stretch, of
course."

She sighed.  "This whole situation has me  so very frightened, since I don't
know enough, yet I know too much.  I  don't know who fired the illegally-set
phaser, nor at whom, only the likelihood  of someone having died!"

Standing, Alexis moved over to the ensign  before her.  She put her arms
around her and whispered, "It's alright to  cry.  There is nothing for you to
be
frightened of.  You have done  nothing wrong, nor are you the cause of whatever
has happened.  I am sure  we will find out soon enough what happened.  Until
then, there is no point  in getting all worked up about something you have no
control over."  She  couldn't help but wonder herself what had happened and
more to the point . . .  why?

Talea sighed, then shook her head.  "In a way, I was the  reason whatever
happened has.  Had the fight not occurred . . ."  She  was trying to regain her
composure, and failing badly.

"Talea, my  dear.  Whatever happened was not caused by you.  Even if it was
remotely related to what happened to you, doesn't mean you caused it.
Whoever shot that phaser did it of their own volition.  As we humans say,
'There is
no point in crying over spilt milk'."

Talea wasn't quite buying  into that, not quite yet.  "Crying over events one
has no control over,  aye, that is pointless.  The fact still remains that
had I been more alert  and escaped before being thrown into that infernal ring,
none of this would have  happened, but I wasn't as alert as I should have
been.  That, Doctor, with  all due respect, was my fault."  She shrugged,
feeling
helpless now.   "I suppose it's just as well.  Who knows but that whatever
happened has  saved Starfleet a great deal of effort, trouble and credits?
Lords
know  that the fighter was in the wrong, as were those who participated
directly and  indirectly in the plot to harm me.  Still, if those directly
involved
are  punished, I can easily forgive those who got coerced or deceived into
participating."

"You need to quit punishing yourself for something you  had no control over.
Did you send the message to yourself and forge Walker's  code? Did you go to
the Pit, knowing what was going to happen? I rather think  not. Therefore you
cannot be held responsible for the actions of a few, and I do  mean a few,
men." Alexis didn't know how she was going to convince Talea none of  what
happened was her fault. Either previously or recently.

Talea  sighed.  "The PADD only showed his first name.  There was no proof,
such as the audio code you heard earlier.  Nor was there visual evidence  the
message was authentic.  That's why I feel I was at fault.  I  trusted an
unauthenticated message was legitimate.  I believe you can now  understand my
distress over this whole matter."

Sighing, Alexis  just sat there.  "I can see how you might consider yourself
to be at  fault.  However, you did not send the message.  You just accepted
that  it was from Walker, as would anyone else in that situation.  I do
understand your distress.  However again, whatever has happened is not your
fault.
You are not back amongst your clan where whatever you thought or  did was
wrong and you were punished for it.  You need to try and get that  thinking out
of
your mindset."

Talea started laughing as a very  Terran saying came to mind.  Waving a hand
in an effort to put off Alexis'  possible affront, she then explained,  "You
mean, 'When in Rome, act as the  Romans do.'?"  Of course, she suspected this
was the wrong saying, but it  was, perversely, the one that had come to mind.

Sighing, Alexis shook  her head. "No, that is not what I mean. I mean you
need to forget about what  would or could have happened in your clan and
realize
that you are no longer in  that situation. You are not amongst a group of
Neanderthals, other than those in  the brig." She didn't know how or if she
would
be able to get through to  Talea.

Talea was very much aware now what the doctor had been getting at,  so
frowned slightly before responding.  "I see I slightly misunderstood,  Doctor.
Of
course I am not amongst those of my Clan here, a fact for which  I thank the
Creator.  I am indeed attempting to get past the problems my  Clan has caused
me, but it will take time.  After all, (to pose a situation  that you are
doubtless familiar with) weight-gain can happen gradually, over the  course of
years, and the battle to return to one's proper weight can take years  as well.
 So
too seems to be my struggle to return to normal after the  emotional and
mental trauma of my childhood, save the fact that I am not totally  certain
what
normalcy is, in this case."  She smiled slightly  wistfully.  "That is one
reason I must depend on others to help me get past  this.  Others who, at least
in
theory, know what normal should be for  someone like me."

Nodding, Alexis agreed.  "That is very  true.  To be back at a younger weight
would make me quite happy.   Alas, I don't think it is going to happen.
However, that is not the  problem we are discussing.  The Captain and I are
more
than willing to help  you overcome this problem.  It won't be easy for any of
us, but it can be  done.  You also have to remember that what may be normal for
one person,  even in that clan of yours, may not be your normal.  Everyone is
different  in their own way.  That is what makes us unique and  interesting."

Taking a deep breath Alexis dared to broach a tender  subject.  "What we
really need to do now is to get you somewhat comfortable  with a male figure
who
is in charge.  As I understand it, the Admiral will  be returning to the ship
very soon.  I don't think he would approve of  having an Ops officer who
couldn't stand to be near him.  To that end, I  may have a solution of sorts.
If
you are up to it, that  is."

Talea wanted to cheer and look extremely puzzled at one and the  same time,
so did neither.  Rather, she asked a very pertinent set of  related questions
of the doctor.  "What sort of solution, Doctor?  I  am very much aware of my
difficulty with men in general.  However, I wish  to remind you that those whom
I already trust can vouch for someone I've not  interacted with before and
generally, I believe their word."  She smiled  slightly sadly.  "Of course I am
somewhat apprehensive about this, but  without trust in anyone, what is the
point in me continuing aboard this vessel,  or indeed, of me living?  Life
without trust or hope is rather pointless,  isn't it?"

"First of all, let's get that thinking out of your head.   You need to start
thinking more positively.  As for what I had in mind, it  is really quite
simple.  A holodeck program.  A program that will  allow you to get to know the
Admiral or any other man you wish without the  threat of anything actually
happening.  It would be a safe and controlled  environment that you would
control.
If you wish, I could be there with  you."

Talea nodded.  "I shall consider this, Doctor.  I  have the unsettling
feeling we will be quite busy soon.  I cannot explain  the reasoning, for I do
not
fully understand it myself."  She then smiled  slightly.  "In the meantime, if
I am not being overly bold, I expect you've  duties and obligations to see to.
 I am but one person, and not your only  responsibility."

Looking at Talea, Alexis shrugged.  "Actually,  right now I am not busy, and
yes, you are my only responsibility at the  moment.  However, I get the
feeling you would like to end this  conversation, so I will leave you to do
your
thinking.  Just remember I am  but a page away."  With that said, Alexis turned
and left the shielded room  full of questions with few answers.