<USS Avalon> Surprises Told Early

  • From: angelserene@xxxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 00:29:07 GMT

Surprises Told Early
by Senior Leiutenant Caine Reilly McKinsely

Caine moved back towards her quarters, her finges traveling up to her neck,
where her new pip was pined.  ?Senior Lieutenant,? it sounded wonderful as it
rolled off of Caine?s tongue.  She smiled to herself, things seemed to be going
pretty decently at the moment, just promoted, headed towards earth, and Hannah
had started speaking again.  Things seemed to be falling in place quite nicely
and Caine could only hope it would get better.

She walked into her quarters and smiled at the picture that met her eyes.
Hannah was curled up on the couch, sleeping with her thumb stuck in her mouth.
Laughing softly as Hannah started mumbling in her sleep, Caine moved over to
the kitchen and retrieved a glass of raspberry ice tea for herself.

The peaceful silence of the living room was interrupted by the beeping of
Caine?s computer, alerting her to an incoming message.  Moving quickly, so as
to not wake up Hannah, Caine sat down at her console and clicked the button,
not sure who was calling her and slightly nervous about who it might be.

The handsome face of Caine?s older brother, Amon, filed the screen.  ?Amon, oh
my gosh, how are you?? Caine asked, excitement.  It had been an extremely long
time since the two of them had talked and Caine truly had missed him.

?Heya Caingerang,? Amon said, his deep voice spilling from the speakers as he
spoke her nickname.  ?Long time no talk huh?? he asked, chuckling slightly in
that way that made it seem like he knew something secret no one else knew.
?Heard you?re headed towards Earth for some shore leave and that you have two
surprises for the family.?

Caine smiled and nodded as she looked over at Hannah, seeing if the child was
still sleeping.  ?Yeah, actually we should be to earth in just a few hours I
believe, then I think I?m headed for the main house, it?s been awhile since
I?ve really seen anyone.  And I do have two surprises for the family.  Wanna
know what they are?? she asked, dying inside to finally be able to tell her
family about Javan and Hannah.

?I would love to know what your surprises are,? Amon said, a smile breaking out
on his as he saw his sisters happiness reflect in her eyes.

?Okay, but you have to promise not to tell anyone until I get to tell them,
okay?? she asked, waiting for the nod of his head before continuing.  ?Well,
first off, I met someone, but I?m not totally sure you guys will get to meet
him.  He?s offly busy and I don?t know if he?ll have the time off to come down
and meet you all.  Secondly, I might try to adapt a little girl named Hannah
that you will definitely be meeting.?

Amon sat in silence as he tried to process all his sister had said to him.  It
was crazy for him to think that after all that had happened to her that she had
actually let herself date someone, much less someone she wanted to introduce to
the family.  Plus, the thought of Caine adapting a child was hard to swallow.
While Amon did believe that caine would be the best possible mother for a
child, he had a hard actually believing that she would adapt and not have one
of her own, biologically.

After a few moments of silence, Caine began to get fidgeting and nervous while
waiting for Amon to respond to her surprises.  She sighed a sigh a relief when
Amon finally smiled and spoke up.  ?I think that?s wonderful Caine.  I?m
extremely happy for you and I?m sure the rest of the family will be too.?  He
smiled at her, hiding his doubts and fears behind a mask of brotherly love.
?But I got to go now girl.  I have tons more work to do, but I?ll see you in a
few days.?

Caine and Amon said their goodbyes as they both signed off.  Leaning back in
her chair, Caine thought about Amon?s reaction to her surprises.  She was
beginning to wonder if it might have been a better idea to have warned her
family a while ago about Javan at least.

Lost in her own thoughts, Caine was surprised when a tiny hand grabbed her own.
 Smiling she looked down at Hannah who had awaken from her nap.  ?Can we go get
dinner?? the child asked sleepily.

?Of course darling.?  Caine stood up and hand in hand with Hannah, they headed
out and in search of dinner, Caine?s mind still on the coming meeting with her
family.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!