<USS Avalon> "Shouldn't Be Here"

  • From: Elizabeth Bethell <ejbethell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Avalon <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:51:20 +0100 (BST)

Shouldn't Be Here

John Forester

"I'm not meant to be here," John said to the reflection.  For months he'd felt
like something was wrong, something had been twisted in side him somehow.  He
stared at himself long and hard, touching every line of his face.  His blue
eyes weren't as blue as... when?  Before?  Before what?  Before he'd woken up
one morning and suddenly everything was wrong.

He slipped his comm-badge from his uniform and then the ensign's pin.  That
wasn't the pip he was meant to have.  It felt wrong in his hands, looked wrong
in the mirror.  There was a crewman's badge he'd had replicated lying on the
side and when he picked it up and tried it on, it felt right, better somehow.

With an angry swipe, he threw the badge across the room.  Grabbing his case, he
tossed his comm-badge to the floor and stamped on it.  For now and for a long
time, he didn't want anyone to know where he was.  He might come back, but
right now all he wanted was to leave and never come back.

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can
imagine."

 ~~ Sir Arthur Eddington