<USS Avalon> Sail Me Away

  • From: CptKetchum@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 04:04:14 EDT

Sail Me Away
by Phillipa  Waterson

Phillipa returned to her quarters after the talk  with the Counselor.  She
transfixed on a point of light in the deep reaches  of space.  "Computer, play
'Sail Me Away', Earth early 21st  century".

Sitting in the window seat she listened as the music began. Her  eyes closed

When stars are born, are they cast  out
To wander cold and lonely lost in space?
A loveless point of light  that can't return
Forever fixed within one place

When love is lost and  dreams are cast
Like bruised and battered pieces left to die,
When hands  that reach out are betrayed
How can my tortured soul  survive?

Her hands touched the glass.  When she opened  her eyes, her mind showed
three young children in the reflection, running and  playing around the
quarters.  The girl picking on the two boys like she  was one herself.
Phillipa smiled, knowing that this would be what they would  have been.

There's only thing left
And that's  the one thing that you needed most of all,
For the freedom that you  gained
Is the loss that led me aimless to the shore.

And I'm borne  high on these waves
Swept by the wind and alone.
Oh, sail me away, carry  me back to my home.
I'm tired, I've been torn,
A cruel, wretched storm  churns like a gale in my bones.
Oh sail me away, carry me back to my  home.

Phillipa knew what she needed to do.  She would  return to her duties, her
home where she belonged.  And try to move past  the pain.  She stood and went
in
and put on her uniform.  Combing her  hair and sliding into the uniform.  Her
hands absently running over her  abdomen.

These scars run deep,
The future  holds a hunger for your innocence
That passed away.
Your callous shadows  mock
And make it clear some things
Were not enough to make you  stay.

A few tears rolled down her cheek, as she finished  getting ready in front of
the mirror, the children, now grown and in their own  uniforms were reflected
back to her.  The boys looked like John, the girl,  like her.  Her hand
covered her mouth, as she tried not to cry.   Fighting back the tears, she
finished
getting dressed.

The moment time stands still
Is the moment that the writing's  on the wall.
The words are clear as ringing bells,
That pride was present  right before the fall.

And I'm borne high on these waves
Swept by the  wind and alone.
Oh, sail me away, carry me back to my home.
I'm tired,  I've been torn,
A cruel, wretched storm churns like a gale in my bones.
Oh  sail me away, carry me back to my home.

Finally complete, the  music stopped.  Fixing the pips on her collar, taking
a deep breath, and  with a tug at her uniform, she walked out of her quarters
and entered the lift,  "Bridge."

For reference and the  actual stage video:
'Sail Me Away' from  'Lestat'
_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI2kkwaqYKc_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI2kkwaqYKc)