<USS Avalon> "Renewing Old Friendships" Part 1

  • From: cmdrskyler@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:17:56 +0000

"Renewing Old Friendships" Part 1
Skyler and Moreya
2006:09.12

Moreya stepped onto the bridge of the Avalon, looking around at the space which
was to be her working home for the foreseeable  future.  It seemed pleasant
enough, with a wide variety of beings working  the  various stations. She
smiled to herself. It would be very  pleasant to get to know everyone.

But she had an acquaintance to renew first, and professional  business  to
attend to. It was late, but she wanted to take care of it sooner  rather than
later -- and besides, this meeting might be better off in a  personal setting
in any event. She consulted the computer for directions to  the Exec's
quarters, then headed there. She took a long, slow breath,savoring  the  flow
of air in and out of her lungs, then sounded the chime.

Having just sent Tavi to bed, Skyler was sitting on the couch trying to figure
out how she was going to make that little girl happy. She  got up and walked
over to the replicator and started to make sure Tavi had  an adequate supply of
clothes. Including the missing under things. She  had to chuckle at the sight
of Tavi scurrying into her clothes. ...minus the undergarments.

As she was replicating the new wardrobe she heard the door chime  go  off.  I
wonder who is calling at this time of day. Only one way to find out. Standing
amongst the piles of clothes she replied, "Enter."

Moreya stepped in, opening her senses to the room. Skyler was  there,  but from
the scents filtering through the air -- not to mention the pile of clothes she
was standing in the middle of, which were nowhere near her own size -- someone
else was as well. "Captain Skyler?" she  said, smiling.

Standing among Tavi's clothes Skyler could sense that Moreya had  entered.
Even though she had her back to the door she knew who it was. Ever since the
last time they had been together she had felt a special connection to this
woman. It was almost as if she had left a part of her with Skyler. The last
time they had seen each other had been intense, at least for her. However she
had come away with a better perspective on a few things. Turning she looked at
her old friend. "Moreya, how are you or  better yet what brings you to this
neck of the woods?"

"Business," the Deltan said. "Specifically, you are looking at your new chief
science officer. I wanted to formally report in before I did anything else."

Untangling herself from the clothes, Skyler walked over to Moreya  and  gave
her a quick hug.  "You will have to excuse the mess. Things are.....how shall I
say...a little hectic at the moment. Com e in and have a seat. I want to know
everything that has been going on with you. I have missed you my friend. More
than you will know."

Moreya smiled, hugging Skyler back and giving her a light kiss on  the
forehead before  and I have missed you, my dear."

Sitting across from her friend and confidante, Skyler smiled. "Chief Science
Officer? As I recall, the last time we saw each other you made a comment about
if I didn't feel anything you would turn in your medical license. You certainly
haven't done anything as silly as that have you? As I recall  I was feeling
quite a few things after our last encounter." More than you will  ever know
Moreya.

"Goodness, no. I am still a qualified physician -- I could easily  back up
Doctors Mahler and Cazook if need be. But I've been in  intensive training to
enhance my exobiology skills --almost since I  left the Avalon."

"So how is it that you are reporting in as Chief Science Officer  instead  of
CMO? First let's back track, how did you find out about the openings  on the
Avalon? Don't get me wrong I am very glad you are joining us once  again, I  am
just....curious as to why."

"Actually, I'm just as surprised as you are," the Deltan said,  stretching her
legs out and crossing them at the ankles. "I actually tend to avoid requesting
particular assignments, so I guess this one  was Starfleet's wisdom at work! As
were, I presume, the promotions of Avalon's two commanding officers."

Not sure how to comment on Moreya's remark about the promotion, Skyler  just
looked down at the clothes scattered around. "Well, I know Keith  deserved  the
promotion, I'm not so sure about me. But one does not argue with  Starfleet.
That much I have learned. Enough about me, tell me what has  been  going on
with you."

"As you wish," Moreya said, although there was something in her look  that
promised she wouldn't be letting that subject lie untouched for long.

Standing Skyler walked through the rough trail she had made to the replicator
and made a glass of tea for Moreya and water for herself.  Returning to her
chair she handed Moreya her drink and stretched out in the  chair.

"Thank you, my dear," Moreya said. "Well ... study. Study, study and  more
study. I learned a fair amount of exobiology during my medical  training, of
course, but I had no idea how much more there was to  know. And I am sure I've
only just begun. Then there were the side fields, which I am still working on."
She took a long pull at the  glass of tea. "Nice," she said, with a long
exhale. "I had the great  fortune to be able to spend at least part of the time
back home."

Fidgety as usual Skyler tried to make herself more comfortable in her  chair.
She also took a drink of her water, if for no other reason than to  occupy her
hands. Although it did feel good going down. "Side fields? Just what might
those be?"

"A little bit of everything, really -- cosmology, physics, stellar cartography
... everything but the kitchen sink, as I believe some  humans would say."

"I hope your visit home was better than the holodeck  trip we took? I must
admit though that I did enjoy the holodeck. I hope someday you can show me the
real Delta IV."

"It would be a great pleasure, and I'm glad you enjoyed our time in the
holo-simulation." She smiled. "I know I did."

 Looking off to the little room off to the side of where they were talking,
Skyler thought she heard a sound. She listened intently to try to see if  she
heard it again. She did. "Excuse me for a moment Moreya, I have to check  on
something."

Untangling herself from the chair, she walked across the room and peeked
into the little room. Tavi was asleep, but murmuring in her dreams. Walking
over to the bed, Skyler covered up the little girl and brushed her hair away
from her face. Whispering she commented, "Hush little girl, no one's going to
hurt you now. Not as long as I am around. Just relax and dream pleasant
thoughts." Tavi became quiet. Skyler stood there for a few moment's just
looking at the girl. You have definitely gotten under my skin, just like
someone else I know.

When Skyler returned to the main room, Moreya asked, "Who's the little girl?"