<USS Avalon> Re: "A Bad Situation Gets Worse"

  • From: Rowanna Darkwolf <rowannadarkwolf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 18:58:02 -0700 (PDT)

Difference is, Betazoid and Human doesn't carry the likely consequence of
"madness and/or death" the way Deltan and Human does. Somehow I don't think
"pop the cherry" is gonna be the appropriate medical prescription this time.
Figures, huh? Mac'd LOVE that prescription!

Own an original piece of Hannah's art.

www.cafepress.com/helpinghanstore

From: camtheinternut <camtheinternut@xxxxxxx>
To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 5:40 PM

((feat. Ensign Fidelma Kyla, Lt.Comm. Patrick McEntire, Lt. Delaney Scott, Lt.
Raven Xavier, and Dr. Withers))

It had been a daily struggle for Fidelma Kyla not to return to the Sickbay from
which she had been released post-surgery---thankfully, her paralyzing spinal
injury had merely been some bruised nerves and had been repaired with minor
surgery, hence her early release. But still, though the operation had been
relatively minor, she had been without the ability to walk for several days,
and the doctor had ordered her to rest and take on light duty for the first two
weeks.
Heh, rest, Fi mused sourly.
Rest had not been in the cards, apparently---not when she had realized that she
was partially bonded with the handsome lieutenant commander who had carried her
from the crash site to the cave, who had taken pains to make sure she was
comfortable, who had nearly died trying to defend their little group of
survivors.
Not that Mac---Lt. Commander Patrick McEntire---had even the faintest clue. At
least, she didn't think so. Sure, she'd been feeling his feelings, had found
herself slipping unbidden into his dreams. But as the bonding wasn't complete
(and because he was a psi-negative), he was, to her knowledge, unaware of the
effect he had had on the young ensign.
She'd been very good so far despite the struggle, if she did say so herself.
But just now Fi had felt such a surge of emotion from him that she felt
compelled to respond. She told herself she was only going to Sickbay to make
sure he was alright, even though from the partial bond, she knew that he'd been
at first confused, then stunned, and then so flooded with relief and joy that
he had to be more than alright. But it seemed that, this time, there was no
resisting the compulsion to see him---she simply hadn't the strength left to
make herself stay home.
All she had to do---and this would take nearly every ounce of willpower left to
her, once she saw him---was to keep her hands to herself.
*****
Mac stretched out on the biobed and sighed. He wanted to get up. To move
around. To do something.
Who was he kidding, he thought to himself. He wanted to go check on Josh. But
if Josh was awake, he'd only keep him awake and if he was asleep, he'd wake him
up. Neither would help anyone at this point.
He considered comming his family and letting them know the news - but he knew
no one would be home at this hour and wasn't about to leave this in a message.
And so he waited for Withers to come through with updates. Or maybe for Burns
to come out of the office, though that seemed a long shot.
The doctor hadn't been seen since nurses started flying earlier - a result of
his apparent inability to read a chart - and Mac was starting to wonder if he'd
died of fright in there. Given that his ineptitude had almost killed  -
rekilled? - his best friend, he almost hoped so.
*****
Fi hesitated outside the doors to Sickbay, her hand extending and retracting
several times before she was startled by a voice saying,
"You gonna ring the bell, or should I?"
Fi jumped, though she managed not to yelp in surprise, turning to see a
lieutenant in operations/engineering gold standing next to her.
"I...I'm going in, I swear. I just..."
The brunette beside her raised a quizzical eyebrow. "You here to see someone?
Or are you nervous about a checkup?"
Fi swallowed heavily, looking between the lieutenant and the door. "Uh, see
someone. Maybe. A fellow survivor from the Resurgence. If he'll see me."
Delaney Scott looked upon the young blonde she'd encountered outside Sickbay
with more than a little curiosity. She hadn't met many of the survivors from
the crash, though she'd heard she would be inheriting some engineers from
Adrian (although she'd already gotten a memo from Admiral Ketchum). She was
thinking she would visit with the McEntire fellow while she waited for Adrian
to finish his discharge 'paperwork.'
Discharged! She could hardly believe it. Earlier that day, when she'd visited
him during her lunch break, he hadn't known when he was being released, and
then, just as she was getting off shift, he'd buzzed her to let her know he was
finally getting sprung.
"Well, I can't imagine why a fellow survivor of that mess wouldn't want to see
another one," Laney said confidently. "I know that if I'd survived something
like that, I'd want to remember everyone who went through it with me."
Fi nodded. "I guess so," she said, though she wasn't entirely sure Mac would
want to see her ever again, not if he learned what had happened.
Just don't touch him, she reminded herself, as she sighed, squared her
shoulders, and pressed the key to open the Sickbay doors.
*****
Withers walked past the doors, muttering, "Psych consult. He wants a psych
consult. He NEEDS a psych consult!" Realizing, then, that they had incoming he
halted and turned around. "Can I help you with something?"
Fi nearly jumped again as she and the lieutenant entered Sickbay. Thankfully,
she was saved from responding first.
"We're just here to visit some friends," Laney said to man. "I'm here to spring
my honey, and she's here to visit a patient."
Withers smiled despite his musings---Lt. Scott had been a regular visitor here
in Sickbay from day one, hovering over the major like she was his mother---or
in their case, his wife, though he knew they weren't married.
"Please, ladies, help yourselves," he said, heading off to the post-op ward.
Laney grinned at her companion. "Good luck with your friend, Ensign," she said,
then went in search of Adrian.
Fi nodded at the lieutenant's back, her eyes darting nervously toward the
recovery ward where she herself had spent several hours. Stop being stupid,
Fidelma, she chastised herself. You're a mature young woman, you can handle
this. Just remember to keep your distance, and you'll get through it.
With another deep sigh and squaring of shoulders, the young scientist began to
put one foot in front of the other.
*****
Mac glanced up from the Engineering Journal he'd tried for the fourth time to
read just in time to recognize his visitor. "Oh hey! Fi, right? Good to see you
up and around. How're you feeling?" he asked with a smile.
Fi jumped (Oh for pity's sake! she growled silently), not prepared for hearing
his voice---out loud, that is. Gee, had she really expected there to be no
conversation at all?
She nodded, stopping just inside the door. "Yes, sir. Ensign Fidelma Kyla,
exobotanist. Resurgence was my first assignment." The last she said with a wry
smile.
 "I remember." he assured her. God, she seemed so nervous. Hoping to put her at
ease, he gestured toward the chair next to the bed. "How's the back? You seem
to be getting around okay." He straightened up gingerly. "Have a seat. I won't
bite. Promise."
She felt her eyes widen when he gestured toward the chair next to his biobed.
Dared she get that close? Could she, and resist the urge---the need---to touch
him, to complete the bond?
She swallowed again and forced herself to walk the few feet over to the chair,
keeping her gaze on that face she could recall in minute detail with her eyes
closed. One thing she knew with absolute certainty was that she did not want to
force the bond on him. No one should be forced into a telepathic link with
anyone---especially one that was nearly impossible to break, and taxed the body
so physically when it was.
"Um, doing very well, sir," Fi said as she lowered herself to the chair. Good,
she told herself. Keep it formal, that will help keep you grounded. "It was
only some badly bruised nerves that kept me from walking, nothing too serious.
Had a minor surgery, spent a few hours in that bed over there before being
released to quarters. Of course, I don't get to start working again until
tomorrow, and even then I'm restricted to light duty until the nerves are
re-accustomed to my being on my feet again."
"I'm just glad to see you up and around," Mac admitted. 'I was kinda worried
that the trip to the cave might have hurt you, you know?" Why did she seem so
nervous, he wondered. Concerned he might have said or done something
inadvertently to frighten or offend, he finally asked, "Is everything okay. You
seem...I dunno. Scared of something. What's going on?"
Fi flushed crimson and all but threw her eyes to her feet. Her hands began to
twist in her lap. Of course, it had been blatantly obvious that she was nervous
about being here---Mac wasn't blind, he'd seen right through her.
But could she tell him the truth? All of it? For that matter, should she?
Though infinitesimally slim, she knew there was a chance the bond she'd
inadvertently created with him could be broken on its own---all she had to do
was resist it's call, and most definitely, she had to refrain from touching his
skin. Even the slightest contact could set the completion of the bond in motion.
Well, she was going to have to say something, because he was waiting for an
answer
"Well, um, sir," she began slowly, her gaze still downcast. "I...I do sort of
have a problem. I didn't mean to do it, but sometimes extreme stress can cause
it to happen."
Mac leaned forward, giving her his complete attention. "What kind of problem,
Fi. Anything I can help with?"
Leaning forward brought Mac closer to her, very nearly into her personal space,
so to speak. He was close enough that she could smell his aftershave, his
breath, his own unique scent. It was nearly overwhelming, and it took all her
effort not to reach out and touch his face, where she was fairly certain she
would find concern.
"I...I um...You know I'm half Deltan, right?" Fi asked. "Deltan and Betazoid,
actually, which makes for a kind of volatile combination psionically. I'm even
more sensitive than others of either species, which probably didn't help."
Mac shook his head, sitting back only because his injuries protested when he
didn't, but still giving her his full attention. "No," he answered. "I wasn't
aware."
"Aware of what?" A voice in the doorway asked cheerfully. A petite Asian woman
entered, seating herself right on the side of the bed between them. "Hi, Mac."
she said sweetly before kissing him on the lips. "We heard you were back. Whose
your friend? She's cute."
Fi's head jerked up in time to see a small woman of Asian heritage enter the
recovery room, speak to Mac, and then kiss him as she sat next to him.
MINE! Fi's mind screamed, a primal response she very nearly echoed out loud.
Oh, this was bad, very bad, she knew, if she was feeling the urge to defend her
"claim" on someone who wasn't even technically hers. Besides, for all she knew,
this woman could be just a friend who was used to pecking the lieutenant
commander on the lips like others would peck a friend on the cheek.
She must have a secret reserve of willpower stored away in her mind somewhere,
for Fi managed---barely---not to launch herself out of the chair and pummel the
newcomer to death. She forced herself to concentrate on breathing steadily as
she stood and said, very slowly, "I can come back later if you'd like to be
alone."
"No, wait," the young woman jumped up and took her hand. "You don't have to
leave. I don't mind sharing," She laughed. "I'm Lori. Lori Chan. What's your
name?"
Share? Hardly, Fi mused bitterly. If Mac had really been hers, were to join
with her and complete the bond, there would be no sharing.
However much she hated this woman right now (even though she knew logically
that she had no real reason to), her parents hadn't raised her to be rude. Fi
forced a pleasant expression as she extricated her hand from the other's grip
and gave the woman her name. "Ensign Fidelma Kyla, Ms. Chan. A...pleasure to
meet you."
"You too," Lori smiled, ignoring the obvious fire of jealousy she saw in the
woman's eyes, especially since Mac seemed oblivious. "You should come meet my
roommates. We're all friends of Mac. Very close friends. I'm sure they'd like
you."
Mac cringed. "Lori, claws in please," he directed tiredly.
"Sorry, honey," Lori purred, then smiled again. "I just wanted to come check in
on you and send our love. The girls can't wait until you're out of here. We've
got a little party planned just for you."
"Sounds fun," Mac smiled. "tell them I'll see them then."
"Okay, great," Lori grinned, bouncing toward the door. "You can come, Fi."
Waving over her shoulder, she called, "Bye guys," as she exited the room.
"Sorry," Mac sighed. "I know she can be a little...overwhelming..at times.
Hell, they all can. They used to scare the hell out of poor Bean." Considering
that carefully, he concluded with a smile. "Though, i really think they did
that on purpose."
Shifting a bit, he turned his attention back to her plight. "Now...your
problem?"
The girls can't wait til you're out of here? What the hell did that mean?!
Fi closed her eyes, reminding herself to breathe as she told herself, silently
and sternly, Patrick McEntire does not belong to you, Fidelma. He is not your
bondmate, however much you wish him to be, and he never will be unless you
complete the bond.
She suddenly felt drained, and dropped heavily into the chair she had just
vacated. All her energy, it seemed, had been spent fighting the siren song of
the pair bond, and she felt like there was simply no fight left in her. Still,
she did not touch him, and it was with a weary expression that she looked up at
him and said, "Deltans take pheromone suppressants when they work or live off
the homeworld for any length of time, Commander. Not doing so puts everyone
else around us at risk of being unduly influenced by them. It has been known to
happen for a psionic bond, one very much akin to the mating bond Vulcans share
with their spouses, to be established purely by accident, when the Deltan in
question is not controlling his or her pheromones. This can be extremely
dangerous for non-Deltans, especially if the bond is unwanted or forced, and
once complete, they are virtually impossible to break without
 extensive medical treatment being requir
 ed by both parties. Even a partial bond can be very dangerous."
Mac nodded. Remembering how Rae reported stepping over Fielding and a crewmate
toward the end of their stay on the planet. "I'm aware some of our shipmates
were...um...influenced...before  we were rescued."
Then the rest of what she said sunk in. Oh shit, he thought. No way.
"Go on," he urged, hoping he was jumping to the wrong conclusion.
"You mean you haven't figured it out already?" she retorted tartly, feeling a
sudden need to get away from Mac and all the concern she could sense radiating
from him---concern and worry, which despite their similarities, were two very
different emotions.
"I bonded with somebody, another survivor, obviously. I didn't mean to, of
course, but without my injections, I couldn't control my pheromones. I haven't
the mental discipline necessary to keep them in check for long periods of time.
The stress of the fight and the crash and being stuck for who knew how long on
that planet...wondering if we were even going to survive?"
She looked at him. "Nature decided to take its course over my objections, you
could say. Now I'm trapped in a one-way pair bond and I don't know if I'll be
able to get out of it. Completing it, though the most obvious course of action,
looks to be out of the question."
He listened closely, nodding when she described how it happened. It was
understandable, given the circumstances. Suddenly tired, he asked, "What
happens if it remains as it is. To you, I mean?"
"I may have to ask for an extended leave of absence, even though I've just been
reassigned to this ship, as the rest of the crew were," Fi answered. "I will
require the assistance of a skilled Deltan Healer to begin the process of
trying to dissolve the bond. It may work, it may not, given how long I've
foolishly let it go on. If the bond is not broken or completed, then I will
very likely go insane."
She shook her head sadly, trying not to dwell on the fact that he had neither
asked with whom she had bonded, nor whether or not she even wanted to complete
it. It didn't matter, she told herself. Sure, she could tell him it was him,
she could tell him she was very attracted to him and wouldn't mind in the least
being bonded with him, but despite how much she wanted the bond to be complete,
Fi simply couldn't bring herself to tell him outright. Asking him to bond with
her when he barely knew her name would be like forcing him into an arranged
marriage he didn't want, and she wasn't going to do that.
"Okay. So that's out except as last resort," Mac concluded. "Have you tried
telling this person what's going on? Maybe they'd want to complete this
bond...assuming you wanted to." He shook his head. "Any chance it was someone
you were close to? Someone who might actually already have genuine feelings for
you and want this?"
"Silly Mac," she said with some admonishment, using his name for the first
time. "You forget that I just told you Resurgence was my first assignment. I
hardly got to know the science team before the crash, let alone any one
individual. So no, I doubt that he has feelings for me. And...well, he knows
now."
Mac opened his mouth to respond, only to close it again right away, finding he
had no idea what to say. Considering her predicament for a moment, he found he
had no idea how to help her. He didn't want to be bonded, married, engaged or
even serious. He'd tried that once with disastrous result and was definitely
not looking to repeat the experience. But where did that leave her? Could he
really just turn his back and leave her to deal with something she had no
control over?
"Fi, I want to help you. I really do. I'm just not sure what to do here. I'm
not sure I can. What is it you need me to do, exactly." he finally asked. He
wasn't sure he wanted the answer as he envisioned the white shot-gun his father
used to joke about, but he wasn't callous enough to just turn his back on her,
either.
Fi watched him mull over her words, saw the horror in his eyes when it dawned
on him who "he" was. She felt with the empathic senses of  both her ancestries
his shock, his fear, his anxiety, and his indecision. She was filled with
everything he was feeling, and the part of her that was still separate from him
hated that she was doing this, while the other part urged her to go to him.
She shook her head. "You don't have to do anything, sir," she said, falling
back on formality. Fi was sure he wanted nothing more right now than to wake up
from this nightmare and realize it was, after all, just a dream. Hell, she
wanted that. But though Mac had just given her the opening she wanted---needed,
even---she found herself unwilling to follow through. Siren song be damned, she
was not going to force him into something he so obviously did not want to do.
Her smile was sad. "Thank you, though, for the kind offer. That you are
concerned for my sanity is noble, Commander, but I cannot and will not force
this upon you, no matter how much my mind and body are telling me to do it. You
clearly don't want to do it, and I'm not cruel enough to accept your chivalry
this time."
Feeling the sting and pressure in her eyes that warned of impending tears, she
turned away from him with as much dignity as she could muster. "I am sorry to
have burdened you with even this much. I would have said nothing if... Never
mind. I should not even have come here. Forgive me," she added, and started to
leave.
Mac listened, noting the change from "Mac" to "Commander", her shift in
demeanor from frightened to resolute. "So what happens to you now," he asked
before she could go. "Who helps you if I don't?"
"If a healer cannot help me, no one can," she replied. Nobody can help me but
you, she added silently, loving and loathing the thought with equal force.
How could she have been so stupid?! The moment she realized a bond had been
formed, she should have spoken to someone---Moreya, the only other person of
Deltan blood on board, could have given her advice, even helped her perhaps.
But no, Fi had been too young and foolish and infatuated with a man who had no
idea who she was, and now she had just thrown a charged phaser into his lap.
She chanced a glance over her shoulder, hoping that the sheen of tears she felt
rising was not yet visible. "I really am sorry. I've no one to blame but myself
for my situation. I should have stopped it when I had the chance."
When she had the...what? "How would you have stopped it? Wait...Fi." Unwilling
to leave this unresolved, he reached out and took her hand, gently pulled her
back toward him. "What aren't you telling me?"
In the split second before his hand made contact with hers, Fi felt her eyes
widen. She wanted to shout at him "Don't touch me!" (not that she actually had
time to speak) even while she could feel her entire body begin to sing with
anticipation.
Then his hand touched hers. He gripped her small, delicate fingers in his firm,
strong hand and applied just enough pressure to draw her back toward him. But
he needn't have bothered, for she was coming of her own accord. The moment his
skin came in contact with hers, her mind opened fully and reached out for his.
"Silly Mac," she breathed, touching her forehead to his, closing her eyes and
feeling for his mind, willing it to open to her, hoping that, despite his
reservations, he would accept her.
Because there was no stopping it now.
"Wait...Fi," he began, but to no avail. Suddenly he could feel her inside his
head. Her thoughts, her feelings, right alongside his own. "What is this?" he
asked, his confusion even more profound.
"hey Mac, you're never gonna believe this!" Raven called as she ran in, excited
and anxious to share the news she'd only just confirmed. The tableau before her
stopped her dead in her tracks. "what the hell's going on in here?" she
demanded, certain it couldn't possibly be what it looked like. After all, she
knew Mac. There was no way this was something he would want.
"What is this?" he had asked, both mentally and aloud. Fi tried to remain calm,
to not let the excitement take them both on a warp-10 ride neither was prepared
for.
This is the beginning, she said simply, speaking to his mind. From this moment
on, you and I will be aware of each other at all times. I will know where you
are, you will know where I am---though certainly should lightyears come between
us, it will be a little more difficult to tell, she added with a mental chuckle.
I really am sorry, though. When I first became aware that a bond had been
formed, I should have sought help in dissolving it before it became too strong.
But I... well, I wanted to and didn't want to at the same time. I didn't want
to force something on you you probably would not want, but I couldn't help
enjoying the feeling of being so intimately connected to someone. It's
something I've heard my parents speak of, but have never truly understood. It
didn't help me much that you're very attractive.
What happens now is up to you. We do not have to become romantically involved,
though I'm not going to deny that it's both the purpose of the bond and
something I wouldn't mind in the least. But you should be aware that if you
choose to be intimate with anyone, I'll be aware of it.
She sighed, then continued even though Mac knew her thoughts as soon as she had
them. There's hope, though, if we go our separate ways, so to speak. We'll need
help from a Deltan Healer---I think Lt. Comm. Moreya could help us. A Healer
can teach us techniques to tune each other out, though it will not be all the
way. Because we are now bonded, we'll always be aware of each other on some
level. That can't be helped unless we seek to dissolve the bond completely.
As she was saying these things, Fi became aware of the presence of another in
the room, a female who seemed to be radiating more than a little anger. For her
sake---and theirs---Fi hoped she did not attempt to interfere.
Rae, a fully functioning telepath, listened in and blanched, growing more angry
by the moment. "You bitch," she spat aloud, not bothering to try to protect her
privacy or anything else, "Your actions here are both unethical and immoral.
Nice how you give him a choice, now, but once again leave out key details. Like
the fact that Deltan/human pairings are prohibited for a reason, that being
they inevitably result in madness and death for the human. Convenient point to
forget there.  You were duty bound, by your Starfleet oath to both report the
issue and seek mitigation well before now. Instead, you've put your desires
above his LIFE. How DARE you?!"
As a Starfleet security officer, as well as his friend, she saw no other
option. "Ensign Fidelma Kyla, you are hereby under arrest for violation of
statute 3817, article 10, the mandatory oath of celebacy, in that you did
knowingly and willingly take advantage of one of an other, less sexually mature
humanoid species."
Tapping her com, Rae called quickly for a security detail to escort Fi to the
brig. "I'll grant that your initial partial bond may have been outside your
control, but what you've done here. You had full control over whether or not to
seek out this end result. I don't doubt a JAG investigation will see it the
same way." She nodded to the two security officers. "I'll be there to file it
in a minute." she told them, turning her attention to her friend.
"Rae, no. This isn't her fault, she didn't mean..." he protested.
"the hell she didn't. She came here of her own volition, knowing full well that
one touch was all it would take to complete the bond. She did that instead of
seeking assistance in breaking it, which is what her oath required her to do.
Sorry Mac. She has to own this one."
Fi stood back from Mac, feeling his reluctance and her own in the separation.
Whether his so-called friend realized it or not, he was going to need her now.
"It's okay, Commander," she said softly, then turned with steely eyes toward
the interloper.
"You know quite a bit about Deltan bonding, it seems, but not everything," she
said. "However, at least you knew enough not to attempt to break the mental
bond, because that would assuredly have killed him as readily as you claim I
wish to. I will not even attempt to defend myself here, because you will not
believe a word I say---not that your opinion matters to me. His matters, and
his only."
She turned back to Mac even as the two security officers entered the room. "You
know the truth now. That's what matters to me. No matter what happens, you more
than anyone will know the truth. Maybe someday that truth will enable you to
forgive me."
With one last soft expression for him, she passed her gaze over the one called
Rae as if she were no longer standing there. As she approached the two security
officers, she said, "As soon as we reach the brig, I expect to be allowed to
contact my chosen representative, as is my right by law."
And then she left, with two hulking security men right behind her.
Raven watched them leave, then, turning to Mac, shook her head. "Fine mess
you've got yourself into this time, you dumbass. Don't suppose it occurred to
you to contact anyone, did it?"
"Contact who? I was still trying to sort it all out. Hell, I'm STILL trying to
sort it all out," he argued tiredly.
"Did you intentionally bond with her?" Rae asked, knowing that would make him
legally culpable as an accessory.
"No, I was just trying to get her to explain what she meant." Mac replied,
exasperation filling his voice. "You didn't have to arrest her, though. She
didn't mean for this to happen."
"Yes I did, Mac. It's my job. And she didn't mean for the partial bond to
happen, but she sure as hell didn't prevent the rest, which is what she was
obligated to do." shaking her head, she headed for the door. "Just hang on,
okay. and for gods sake, don't touch anymore Deltans, okay?"
Stepping into the hallway, she tapped her combadge. "Xavier to Moreya. Can you
meet me in sickbay please? We've got a real situation this time."