<USS Avalon> "Precious Moments"

  • From: "Melanie Redgrave" <melanieredgrave@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:45:49 -0400

"Precious Moments"

Vevay and Newlyn Davis, Melanie Redgrave, Ella Knight, Introducing Grace
Redgrave-Davis

The heavy scent of sippis blossoms, the call of birds, her mother's voice,
and the cool dampness of the park faded away slowly, to be replaced by the
smell of disinfectant, the sounds of monitors and medical chatter, and the
weighted warmth of a blanket. Melanie moaned over the loss of her serenity,
but then quickly realized where she was. "Vevay." She croaked, her throat
and mouth dry. "Gracie."

 "No," a careful, deep Welsh voice whispered.  Newlyn sat forward and rubbed
his eyes.  "I promised to hold vigil while they both slept.  My name's
Newlyn."

The room was bright and it made Melanie close her eyes before she'd even
managed to get them open. The name she knew and it made her smile. Vevay
always spoke fondly of her brother. "I had hoped I'd get to meet you," She
managed to get out. "only under better circumstances."

"I don't know, it's not often I get to play protector knight for the fair
princess," he chuckled as he reached behind him and poured her a cup of very
weak juice.  "Drink something, it might help."

Trying to sit up wasn't a very smart idea. She was extremely sore, her
abdomen muscles feeling as if they'd been ripped apart. She moaned and
hissed until she was and least some what propped up. "Thanks." She replied
taking the juice and sipping it. It stung at first, but then started to feel
really good.

"No probs," he smiled.  "V's told me a lot about you, Ms Redgrave.  She's
really in love.  It's weird."

Melanie looked at him oddly. "Weird?" She was pleased to hear her voice
sounding less scratchy, her accent almost as crisp as it should be. "And
please, it's Melanie."

"Weird that she could settle down," he shrugged.  "We're neither of us the
easiest to get on with.  It's good that she's found someone who'd want to.
Though..."  His eyes danced merrily as he asked, "Are you sick or something,
I mean EW! She's my sister!"

"And she's beautiful, smart, funny, strong, and if she'll agree, my wife."
Melanie replied easily. "We're," What word had the doctor used? She should
have asked her mother. "Imzadi."

"Huh?" he blinked.  "What's one of those?"

She wasn't sure how she knew it but she answered, "The one person who could
ever make me whole."

 "Wow," he murmured, his eyes drifting off.  "And V got one of those?
Wow..."

"Your sister is an amazing woman, Newlyn." Melanie inched up a little more
and hissed at the effort. "I'm blessed to be loved by her."

"My sister's a shrew!" he laughed brightly.  "She used to throw her teddies
and dolls at me."  He rolled up his sleeve to the elbow and showed Melanie a
long thin scar.  "I got that when she pushed me out a tree," he grinned.

 "It was two foot off the floor," Vevay said softly, her eyes on Mel.  "And
I didn't push, you fell."

Seeing Veavy standing there made Melanie realize how scared she'd been she'd
never see her again. Tears welled in her eyes as she smiled almost shyly at
the woman. "I missed you." She said softly.

"Missed you too," Vevay whispered back.  She felt Newlyn's hand on her
shoulder before he slipped away.

Reaching out her hand, Melanie needed to feel Vevay, to connect with her.
"You were scared."

"To death," her lover nodded as she grasped the hand and held it to her
face.  "Grace's fine.  They've got her well looked after."

Her tears were running freely down her face as she pulled Vevay as close to
her as she could. "I'm so sorry I scared you so badly, my love."

 "It's not your fault," Vevay said earnestly, rubbing Melanie's arms and
shoulders.  "And I've got you now.  I'm never going to let anything happen
to you ever again."

Melanie smiled as she reached out to caress her lover's face. "I want to
kiss you but it feels as if someone went rumbling around in my insides, so
you need to come here so I can."

"So I do," Vevay murmured as she leaned down close to brush Mel's lips so
softly.  "Better?"

"I'm sore not broken." Melanie grinned as she pulled Vevay's face closer to
keep her deeply.

"Mmm," Vevay grinned, wrapping her arms carefully around Mel.  "Now that's
definitely better.  But what's even better is now Maggie'll stop pacing
around and annoying the nurses."

Melanie laughed carefully for a moment before returning to tracing the lines
of her lover's face. She needed to know she was alive and the Vevay was
really here. "She was with me the whole time, love. I don't think I'd have
gotten through until you came without her." Her memory replied the whole
event and her voice became soft as she asked, "Gracie, she's ok? You said
she was ok, right?"

"Yes, baby, she's okay," Vevay insisted.

 Ellia rocked the bundle in her arms as carefully as she could.  She
approached the two women with a smile.  "Want to meet your Mother, little
one?"

Bright green eyes turned towards the door and Melanie gasped. "Gracie?"

"There we are then," Ellia cooed to the baby.  "Here we go then.  Easy now,
Mother, don't strain yourself."  She set the bundle very carefully onto
Melanie's lap.  "Meet Gracie."

She was so tiny. Where newborns meant to be this tiny? And hair! She had
wisps of dark hair! Were newborns meant to have hair? Bright tear sparkled
green eyes locked with two tiny blues ones. The baby blinked at her and
Melanie laughed. "Oh heavens bless she's beautiful."

Ellia grinned as she stepped back.  "I'll come back to let you go home once
the two of you are properly acquainted."

Something suddenly dawned on Melanie as her head shot up. "I, I don't know
how. I mean, is there something I need to do? Something else I don't know
about? I didn't even know what Imzadi was and I have one." She gripped
Vevay's hand with her freehand.

Ellia smiled softly at the woman and shook her head.  "You're a natural,
little mother, trust me.  Just look at how she's looking at you.  That's
love and trust in those eyes, Commander Redgrave."

Melanie went to reply and blinked. Commander? Pushing that out of the way,
it wasn't important right now, Melanie looked down at her baby. She traced
her little chin, her ears, her cheeks, her nose. "Hello Poppet. Did you and
Mommy get on well while Mummy was napping?"

"Her and Mommy panicked the whole time, didn't we, little one," Vevay
chuckled as she peered at the baby.  "You're glowing, Mel."

"I've never been so happy, V." Melanie replied as she looked from one
beloved face to another. "Our baby is strong and healthy despite being a
little early and my hard pregnancy, I have you to love and be loved by,
we're a family, V, and everything's almost perfect."

"Almost?" Vevay asked, her eyes widening.

Melanie cuddled the baby who seemed to be looking between her two mothers,
as she looked into moss green eyes. Her voice was a soft whisper but so full
of emotion that she'd have trembled if not for the soft weight of the baby
upon her chest. "Marry me, Vevay Davis, marry me, Imzadi?"

Vevay held her breath as she stared into Mel's eyes and nodded.  "You want
me?"

"Always and forever." Melanie replied.

GIF image