<USS Avalon> Dirty Laundry pt 3

  • From: Rowanna Darkwolf <rowannadarkwolf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 15:58:06 -0700 (PDT)

DIRTY LAUNDRY (PT 3)
by, Fielding, Skyler, Lewis, Moreya, Chapman (w/ brief appearance by Henderson)

Up
on the bridge Skyler was going over what reports she had in regard to what had
gone on down on the Andromeda station. Something wasn’t right and she couldn’t
quite put her hand or wrap her mind around anything. Running her hand across
her forehead in a futile attempt to push her headache to the back of her head,
Skyler heard her name. She was being called to sickbay. What was going on she
didn’t know, but she was about to find out.

“Henderson,
you have the comm.”

“Yes ma'am”,
replied the tactical officer. He took over the chair as Skyler made her way to
the turbolift.

“Sickbay.”
spoke the Captain as the lift doors closed.  As she waited for the lift to
arrive she wondered what was going on. She hadn’t gotten any strange reports
from Georgia or anyone else. The doors opened and Skyler exited and made her
way to sickbay.

Upon entering
she looked around and noticed Moreya sitting in a chair with her uniform jacket
off. This in itself was unusual as the Deltan was one for being proper. Upon
first glance, Skyler noticed that her friend was not her usual self. She looked
worn out, almost exhausted. More so than she had ever seen her.

Kneeling in
front of the science officer, Skyler put her hands on Moreya’s knees. She could
feel the uneasiness emanating from the Deltan. This was not normal. “Moreya,
what in the frack is going on here? Why aren’t you laying in a bed being
monitored?”

Before Moreya
could say anything, Skyler called out, “Dr. Lewis , you are needed here
immediately!”

“Fielding’s
gone to find her or one of the other medical types,” Chapman told the captain
as he stepped back out of the way. Supposing he wasn’t much needed now that
Moreya had the captain there to tend to her, he headed for the door.

Turning her
head for a moment, Skyler noticed that the officer who had called her was
almost out the door. “Officer Chapman, is it? Would you please come back over
here and tell me exactly what the hell has been going on around here. It would
seem that you seem to know more about what is going on than I do.” Again she
turned, this time to give a stern look to Moreya. How could she not have called
and let me know what is going on. That is not like her at all. And where the
hell was Georgia?

“Ma’am, all I
know is that I checked in to discuss our findings on the station and discuss
one of my team members’ condition with her when I found her not feeling well.”
Chapman replied, standing at attention, as one should when in the presence of a
superior regardless of the branch they served in.  Seeing that she she
seemed to be expecting more, the tall Scotsman offered, “I sent Fielding for a
medic, called you and then was just waiting for you to get here before leaving,
ma’am. She didn’t look like she should be alone.”

“I appreciate
all you have done Sir. However I have a few more questions, since you are
currently the only one answering anything I ask.” Why hasn’t Moreya said
anything? “As Captain of this ship I need to be aware of all things that might
affect this ship. Now what was this you were saying about a member of your teams
“condition? And what about your findings on the station.?”

Before saying
anymore Georgia appeared. “Dr. Lewis, so nice of you to make an appearance.”
The comment came out a tad bit more sarcastic than she had meant for it to.

“Sorry
Captain, but I was attending to our visitor in the psi-shielded room.” Looking
around she noticed Moreya sitting in the chair, looking rather off. Immediately
she grabbed her tricorder and started to run it. “Moreya, can you tell me what
is going on? I would like to hear it in your words and not, excuse me for
saying this, but not in Skyler’s words. We both know how protective she is of
you. Not that it is a bad thing mind you.”

Skyler looked
at Georgia as if to say what the hell are you talking about. “I will have you
know Dr. that I am concerned for all crew under my command.”  She meant
that last statement but she had to agree with her in that she was more
protective of Moreya.

Moreya took a
deep breath and spoke softly to Georgia as Skyler’s attention had momentarily
turned elsewhere.  “Let me see your tricorder,” she asked.  She
looked at the preliminary results of the scan and nodded as she handed it back.
 “Toxic shock syndrome, what used to be called blood poisoning … high
fever and systemic infection.”

“But how did
it start?” Georgia asked, continuing her scan with the tricorder.  “And
why didn’t you report this sooner?”

Moreya
sighed.  “River in Egypt, as some humans say,” she said, continuing to
keep her voice low.  “Denial.  I think you’ll find the infection stems
from an incomplete reabsorption of a failed gestational mass.  A
miscarriage, to use another old term.”  She closed her eyes.

Georgia said
nothing more, putting a firm but gentle hand on the Deltan’s shoulder as an
expression of sympathy.

Own an original piece of Hannah's art.
www.cafepress.com/helpinghanstore