<USS Avalon> {Avalon} Flying the Grand Canyon

  • From: CMOSNUFFY@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 01:15:48 EDT

Flying The Grand Canyon
Lt. Snuffy

Snuffy and T'Pice turned in the PADD with all classified time travel to the
Captain after returning to our time.  Both were given strict orders not to
reveal any of the information without command authorization!  Vikmil requested
visit the military academies on Earth while on shore leave. Starfleet assigned
an escort for him and He was given full diplomatic clearances.  T'Pice went
to the Vulcan Embassy to confer with the Vulcan Ambassador.  But Snuffy wanted
to do some flying.

Snuffy received shore leave and requested a week off which was granted.  He
transported to the main hotel near the Grand Canyon National Park.  Upon
arrival the adventure begins:

Snuffy arrives in the Hotel Grand Canyon transporter room and walks to the
main lobby to the front desk to check in.

The clerk: Welcome to the Grand Canyon Hotel. How may I help you?

Snuffy: I have reservations for a holosuite room, my name is Snuffy.

The clerk: Yes sir, you are in holosuite number 7 on the top floor as
requested.  Your room does have windows that can be opened to the outside, but
we
request that you advise the front desk before you do.  If you plan to fly any
while you are here, please call the local shuttle port and inform them for your
safety.

Snuffy: looks slightly puzzled and asks: How did you know that I was planning
to do some flying?

The Clerk: You are Aurelian, we have had Aurelians here before, and they all
want to fly the canyon.

Snuffy: I see, thank you.  I plan to stay a week, and will abide by the
rules.  Are there any other rules I need to know?

The Clerk: Yes sir, here is a PADD with all rules about flying in the area
and other rules about public drinking, trespassing, and trash disposal around
the park.  Your room access code is also in the PADD.  If you have any other
questions let me know.  She hands the PADD to Snuffy and hits an old fashion
bell
to call for a bell hop to carry Snuffy's three suit cases.

Snuffy follows the Bell Hop to the 19 floor to holosuite 7.  Snuffy tips the
Bell hop 5 slips of latium.  Snuffy tells the computer to set up an Aurelian
nesting quarters and to notify the desk and open the outside window.  He looks
out and feels the heat of the desert, it is similar to his home world's
deserts.  The air is clean and sharp with the smell of cactus which is in bloom.

After looking out the window for several hours, Snuffy calls the Shuttle Port
and advises then that He will be flying in the area starting about 0800 local
time the next day.  The shuttle port clerk gives him a code number which
allows him to fly freely around the canyon for a week.

Off to the nest Snuffy goes.

The next day Snuffy wakes and gets ready for breakfast and prepares to go
flying.  He has the computer notify the desk that he is opening the window and
close the window after his departure.  He goes to the window and jumps from
the 19th floor.  Diving toward the ground, he pulls up about 12 meters off the
ground, having reached flying speed.  He sores to the canyon.  Soaring to a
height of about 4 kilometers off the ground he gets a great view of the canyon.

All the colors are in the sun by now and the air only has a few puffy white
clouds.  He plays in the clouds for a while, their cool mist refreshes him.
Then He dives toward the canyon.  The view is breath taking, for this canyon is
not like the canyons back home.  None of his home works canyons are in the
desert.

He flies from one end to the other and side to side for several hours.  Then
he lands near the Snake River.  He takes a cup and takes a drink, the water is
cool and tastes pleasant.  The natural water, filtered by the falls up
stream, and the rapids in the canyon make the water very pleasant.

Next he takes his tricorder and scans a few rocks, plants, and some wild life
that He had read about, but had never seen.  After a couple of hours of
scanning, He feels the temperature dropping in the canyon and the sun can no
longer
be seen from the canyon floor.  Snuffy climbs for several meters and jumps
gliding among the air currents and finds an updraft. He sores out of the canyon
and back to the hotel.  This is the first of five days He will explore the
South Western United States. The last day He flies to Las Vegas and plays
several
games of poker winning credits, latium, and an element that he had rarely
seen, platinum.

Sore leave is over and it is time to return to the Avalon.

end log