<USS Avalon> "AWOL" by Steven Striker

  • From: Elizabeth Bethell <ejbethell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Avalon <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:18:37 +0100 (BST)

"Hey bud!" Steven called as he bopped into their shared quarters.  When no one
answered, he frowned.  Stepping into John's bedroom, he felt a crunch under his
feet and when he stooped to look, he saw the remains of a comm-badge.  "What've
you done, Johnny?" he murmured.

A quick search of the cabin showed that most of John's things were gone, as was
the picture of him and Steven at their last night out.  "Fuck, man, and without
me," he sighed.

Grabbing a few clothes, he sent a note to Mary that he needed to disappear for
a while.  He loved her but John was like his brother.  He couldn't turn his
back on him.

With his mind set, he stared around their shared quarters, tossed his own badge
to the ground and stamped on it.  "In for a penny," he whispered, "in for a
pound."  Marching out, he turned in the vague direction he hoped John would and
simply kept going.

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can
imagine."

 ~~ Sir Arthur Eddington