atw: conferencing software

  • From: Suzy <SuzyDavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 00:39:40 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Christine

At work I use Live Meeting - which is good - but on investigation
to use this for my own customers, found that it costs about $5 per
month for each attendee - which doesn't work for a classroom.

Even though Live Meeting has audio - I tend to use a separate
audio conferencing facility - Verizon - cause sometimes you want
the desktop to finish but discussion to continue.  Live Meeting
tends to finish as soon as the meeting reaches its scheduled
finish time which is sometimes inconvenient when the meeting or
discussion runs over.  At least if the Internet component drops
out, you can still converse with your attendees.

Does Skype have a facility to share your desktop?  If Skype is
dropping out all the time, suggest this might be to do with your
broadband, rather than Skype.  We've used Skype to do 3 hour video
meetings and it might have dropped out once - and even then feel
it would be due to the broadband.

The only other one that I've tried is Electromeet - which is good
once you get in - I found it really problematic with a
non-technical attendee to get into the meeting - it took about an
hour - twice!  And I never had time to get the instructions
modified to make it simpler.  Once you're in, it's good, and
allows you to save your meetings (which I assume you can find
again - but never tried).  It costs about $400 for 12 months.

I'm going to need this soon too so would be interested in hearing
what you choose.

regards
Suzy

------
Guys

I want to be able to get together on-line with up to 14 people in
a room, and with both audio and video.

I have tested out Skype, and it has the functions necessary, but
drops out all the time.

I have tested wIZiq, is a virtual classroom with some nice
features, but there is a time delay which makes it unusable.

Does anyone know of any kind of classroom or conferencing software
that really does work and is either free or relatively cheap?

Regards
Christine