atw: User-editable web help

  • From: Hedley Finger <hfinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 10:43:47 +1000

I am currently using Aptana Studio, an open-source IDE for AJAX web-site development built on Eclipse and employing the server version of Eclipse help. Aspects of Aptana's help system are stored locally but topics download from its web site. Noticing an [edit] link next to a topic title, I clicked it and found that it brought up a wiki editing environment.

This is a novel idea -- users writing and modifying the help. It seems to be possible to add new topics as well as edit existing topics but how to get them into the table of Contents (or nested bookmark list) is not obvious.

This would appear to be an excellent way for the documentation to be continually aligned with users' needs. But it would probably require some sort of staging for editorial style and quality review.

Has anybody produced a user-editable help system like this? Any war stories?

Regards,
Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Fax. (call phone first)
Mob. (cell) +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger" <hfinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>