atw: Re: words to watch out for

  • From: "Bob Trussler" <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 12:08:14 +1100

Some time back, I agreed to collect the responses into a list.

This it it.
Bob T

Tricky Words

This is a list of words that usually pass spellchecking, and that may not be
noticed by the writer and even a proof reader.

You may want to run a Find and check each occurrence.

an/any

bee / been

coma / comma

disk - dick

filed - field

fist/first

flare - flair

form – from

hare, hair

Her - here

if --- of

managment - management

manger -- manager

Martial - marital

mentions/mentioned  .. and other incorrect tenses

odes -- does

Public - pubic

String - strong

string - strong

sue  - use

suit/suite

the/then

there, their, they're

though/through

where, ware, were, we're

whether, weather, wether

wok/work

your, you're, yore

There are a hundred or so her  (*Hmmm is this 'here'?*

<http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/misspelled.html>

<http://www.rinkworks.com/words/misspelled.shtml>

and 507 here

<http://www.esldesk.com/esl-quizzes/misspelled-words/misspelled-words.htm>

And more

http://lists.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1708127357
http://lists.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1708293844

On 10/5/06, Bob Trussler <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Years ago, I had a list of words to look for when doing a final spell and
'sensibility' check.
I looked for every filed/field, form/ from, disk/dick (yes it went out in
a doc, something about floppy dicks … I am not making this up) and a heap of
others,  many of them anagrams.

Does anyone have a list of tricky words to look out for?
Bob Trussler