atw: Re: vagaries of Australian english

  • From: "Allan Charlton" <Allan.Charlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:31:43 +1000

Bill Dennis said

> Frinstance:
> Where a occurs, b take place immediately to avoid an explosion.
> Why?

It's because sports commentators teach us to do it.  Let me invent an
example:

"It's a case where the goal doesn't count."
Any of us would say something like "In this case the goal doesn't
count." but the people who train sports commentators are made of sterner
stuff.  They have principles:

  o  If nothing is happening, have some gobbledegook or irrelevant
trivia handy so listeners think you know everything.

  o  Make up words and mangle real ones so the listeners think you have
an education.

  o  Talk fast and repeat yourself often so the listeners will think
you know what you're on about.

Sport, like music, should only be available live.  If you don't go to
the game/race/whatever, you should only get the results and nothing
else.  It would be a big improvement to our world.   :-)

Allan

confidential/privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete it and notify the sender.
Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of the Department.

You should scan any attached files for viruses.