atw: Re: style (hyphen use) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Janice Gelb <Janice.Gelb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:07:01 +1000

On 18/09/08 03:17 PM, Howard.Silcock@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I also agree with Bede, and disagree with Read Me First!, that 'right-hand' is preferable to just 'right'. I think 'the right side' is too easy to misinterpret as the opposite of 'the wrong side' (better keep on the right side of this ugly-looking screen!). Even if it might only cause a native English reader a momentary hesitation, I think it's better avoided. Of course, that argument doesn't apply to 'left side', but then we should also be aiming for consistency, shouldn't we?

Saying "the right side" out of context might cause hesitation
but reading "Click the button on the right side of the screen"
I don't think would cause any English speaker to hesitate and
think "Do they mean 'correct' here?" (We actually discourage
describing the GUI in detail unless absolutely necessary so
most of the time we'd cut out descriptions of the exact location
anyway :-> )

-- Janice

Janice Gelb          | The only connection Sun has with
janice.gelb@xxxxxxx  | this message is the return address