atw: Re: samples of work requested at interview [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Peter.Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:32:12 +1000

You might point out to them that your work is so highly regarded by the
rulers of this land that to do as the organisation asks might be construed
as an inducement to a breach of the law, and you'd hate to get them into
trouble.   :-)

Peter M

From:   Bob Trussler <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   14/08/2012 03:03 PM
Subject:        atw: samples of work requested at interview
Sent by:        austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This has happened twice now.  An organisation has requested that I send
them copies of my previous work ? as SOFTCOPIES!
We have ? decided to request examples of written work before we progress
to interview.
One or two examples of some user guide or instructional material you have
developed would be much appreciated.

This is a great idea BUT as I work for government departments, most of the
work that I do is confidential in one way or another.
In the past, I have taken a bundle of carefully selected printed copies of
my work to an interview.
I don't keep a copy of seriously confidential documents for personal use,
because I am simply not allowed to.  In many offices, you cannot copy to a
USB memory stick or CD or whatever so taking a softcopy cannot be done.

Does the person requesting the sample documents understand
confidentiality?
Do they consider the situation if it was reversed and I gave a softcopy of
their documents to another organisation, maybe a competitor?
What do other people do in this situation?

Bob Trussler

--
This message contains privileged and confidential information only
for use by the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended