atw: Re: how long is permanent? + online help + being a writer

  • From: "Michael Granat" <mgranat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:29:31 +1000

A shrewd observation Christine (B-K).

You are absolutely spot on here.

It's a way that government (at all levels) and quasi-autonomous
non-governmental organizations (quangos) have been doing business for
quite some time, getting below the industrial relations radar by selling
medium to long term contracts (defined duration temporary positions)
at half the rate or less that they should be paying a contractor.

This with none of the benefits afforded to a staff member (holiday pay,
sick leave, pay reviews) all of the restrictions placed on a contractor,
packaged in a blatant lie of implying permanency.

It's called false advertising, folks, and almost certainly could (and
should) be challenged under the trade practices act.

If you are a member of a union that is represented in the advertiser's
(work provider client's not the agency's) workplace, bring it to their
attention, as it also undermines the job security of their real
"permanent" staff.

Just because there's no such thing as true permanency any more (I'm
what I call "on staff" at the moment, I never use the "P" word)
doesn't mean that recruiters may flaunt the meaning of the word
on which it is based.

Sincerely,

Michael

Michael E. Granat