atw: Re: formatting cross-references in Word

  • From: "Suzy Davis" <suzy.davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Martin Puchert'" <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 16:29:58 +1000

In that case Martin the only thing you can do to have a link which goes
directly to the graphic and displays the caption text is to use the
HYPERLINK field.  But it means that you would need to manually type the
display text (the caption text) into each hyperlink.  So it's possible - I
might look at an app for that J  I like where you are going with it.

Regards Suzy

Suzy Davis
Microsoft Word Templates, Apps for Microsoft Office

& Documentation Projects
 <http://www.appsforoffice.com/>

 <http://au.linkedin.com/pub/suzy-davis/6/5ba/4b1>
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Apps-for-Office/136256423063414>
<http://twitter.com/#!/AppsForOffice>

www. <http://www.appsforoffice.com/> appsforoffice.com

(Melbourne) Australia
Direct +61 3 9593 6568
Mobile +61 433 489 989
Email  <mailto:suzy.davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> suzy.davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: Suzy Davis <suzy.davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 11:17:52 +1000
To: Martin Puchert <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
<austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Martin

The REF field will only go to the referenced/bookmarked paragraph - whether
you use Word's cross references or your own manually inserted bookmarks.

With manually created REF fields - that is, not using Microsoft's cross
referencing to create them - you need the \h switch to denote the hyperlink.
If you remove the \h switch, the REF field will just display the text but
will not go to the bookmarked location if you click on the field.

Essentially you want two things:

-          To display the caption text in another place in the document, and

-          Provide a clickable link to the graphic, not the caption.

What you could do is this:

-          Bookmark your caption - Figure 1: Great events in Cross
Referencing  - let's say this bookmark is called "Figure1Caption"

-          Bookmark your Inline graphic - note the bookmark would need to
include the graphic and the paragraph - let's say this bookmark is called
"Figure1Graphic"

Then create your REF fields in another area of the document - where you want
to refer to Figure 1 - let's say in Chapter 3 somewhere.

-          Use the REF field to display the bookmarked caption:  Figure 1:
Great events in Cross Referencing

-          This field would look like this: {REF Figure1Caption
\*MERGEFORMAT }

-          Use a HYPERLINK field to link to the graphic.  HYPERLINK fields
will allow you to display any text you want to refer to the target, "Click
here"

They are a bit finicky in that the display text isn't included in the field
syntax - but you can add it easily via the Insert Hyperlink option.  If you
add the HYPERLINK field manually, you need to retype the display text, and
they don't necessarily like spaces - there is a way though but takes some
experimenting with how you enter the text J

-          This field would look like this: {HYPERLINK \L  \O "This graphic
helps you understand the logic of the process" "Figure1Graphic" } - this
field will have your hyperlink character style applied by default.  And you
can also add a \o switch to add a screen tip that displays when the mouse
hovers over it.

Your sentence could look like this:

                Click here to see Figure 1: Great events in Cross
Referencing

                Where, in case you can't see my colour formatting:

-          Click here - is a HYPERLINK field referencing your bookmarked
graphic.  When it is clicked, it will take the reader to your graphic.  When
the mouse hovers over it, a screen tip displays : "This graphic helps you
understand the logic of the process"

-          Figure 1: Great events in Cross Referencing - is a REF field
without the \h switch.  It will just display the bookmarked caption text.

I wouldn't use REF fields with your bookmarks - not with MS Word's
cross-references.  I prefer to manually add my REF fields - I have more
control over MS Word's gremlins.

Hope this helps!

From: Suzy Davis <suzy.davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 18:44:43 +1000
To: Martin Puchert <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: FW: Re: formatting cross-references in Word

Hi Martin

Just adding a bit to Neil's excellent advice.

(list rejected my post - I need to re-subscribe; so thought I'd just send it
to you direct.