atw: Re: Wikipedia: A Summing Up

  • From: "Geoffrey Marnell" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 13:56:36 +1000

But there is, Michael, a clear distinction between purported knowledge and
knowledge. Folks in the past didn't KNOW that the earth was the centre of
attention. They simply had a false belief.

I'm the first to admit that knowledge is extraordinarily difficult to derive
(unless it is a priori  knowledge) which is precisely why I challenged the
claim that Wikipedia is a source of knowledge. I didn't want to muddy the
debate further with inductive scepticism a la David Hume (which, of course,
would have shot the whole debate dead at step 1). The point is that even if
we accept the widely-held view that a claim deserves to be called knowledge
if it is repeatedly corroborated and not once falsified, then Wikipedia is
not a source of knowledge. It may be the inspiration that led to knowledge
(as per Tony's latest example).

If you want to side with Hume, then there's not much we really know: cogito
ergo sum, there is an infinite number of prime numbers, and a score or so of
other rather limited a priori truths. I prefer to view knowledge as an
asymptote that we can, by repeated verification in the absence of
falsifications, approach even if we never meet it. This definition, at
least, gives Wikipedia some hope of being a potential contributor to the
advancement of knowledge. The Humean approach gives it none.

Cheers

Geoffrey Marnell

Principal Consultant

Abelard Consulting Pty Ltd