atw: Re: Spaces before and after slashes

  • From: Lana Brindley <lanabrindley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:05:46 +1100

You inspired me to look up my Collins Dictionary for Writers and Editors:

*Oblique* (typog.) another name for *solidus*.

*Solidus* (Also *slash* or *oblique*) the symbol (/) used in dates
(e.g. 21/10/06), in fractions (e.g. 13/6), to separate alternatives
(e.g. and/or), on the Internet (e.g. www.bbc.co.uk/weather), etc. In
computing it is sometimes called *forward slash* to distinguish it
from *backslash*.