atw: Re: Screen vs Window vs Dialog box [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Howard.Silcock@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 10:19:31 +1100

Hi Nikki and others
I'm always happy to expound.

My preference is to keep the word 'screen' for the hardware that displays
images on the monitor. The Microsoft Style Guide also says you can use it
to mean a screenful of text, but I haven't ever done that.

'Dialog boxes' (I always spell it that way) are displayed for user input,
though in some cases the word 'form' might seem more appropriate (if it
looks like a form).

Otherwise I think  I'd always use the term 'window'.

Like Christine, I tend to follow the Microsoft Style Guide. Although
Microsoft are widely loathed, they have at least put a lot of work into
establishing consistent usage.

Howard

"Nikki Ward" <Nikki.Ward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
04/04/2008 09:46 AM
Please respond to
austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
"Nikki Ward" <Nikki.Ward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
atw: Re: austechwriter Digest V6 #83 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi All,=20

Please can you expound on the virtues of using the following:

Screen vs Window vs Dialog box

I have had a discussion with a new tech writer who came  on board
recently and was totally unarmed when it came to a discussion about
whether to use screens or windows when writing procedures.

Ie.

1. Click Open
=20  The Create SRS screen displays.
2. Complete the Create SRS screen blah blah yadda yadda

....you get the picture..=20

To me, screen just avoids the argument about dialog vs dialogue and
window suggests something that has operating system controls all over
it..=20

Can anyone offer a valid reason why one would use screen over the other
options?

Thanks,
Nikki Ward