atw: Re: SEC: UNCLASSIFIED Re: Naming cars (WAS Offshoring: Don't shoot the messenger)

  • From: "Michael Granat" <mgranat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:42:34 +1000

Actually, Howard (S),

We at the agency (McCann Erickson) at the time (mid 1980s) always
suspected that the car model name of "Barina" was some cruel joke
from the GMH client about that car's (then) Japanese (rebadged Suzuki
Swift) origins, as a pun on the Commodore "Berlina" model alongside which=

it was to be sold.  Perhaps a cross-reference to the industry in-joke of
the Mitsubishi "Starion", named by a Japanese product manager who must
have been feeling a little hoarse after getting his oats.      ;-)

Neigh! I shouldn't have said that!

Perhaps the best dud car name of the lot was that of the Nissan
"Cedric", which that company gave what it thought was a sophisticated,
upper-crust British moniker to their then mainstream company flagship.

For us here in the land of Aus, "Cedric" smacked of all the driving
excitement of a bowls tournament for the over 90s.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael E. Granat
T/as Write Ideas