atw: Re: SEC: UNCLASSIFIED "Ad hoc"

  • From: "SUNTER Bede" <Bede_SUNTER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:02:57 +1100

Hi Howard,

'ad hoc' indeed means literally 'towards this [thing]'.
You are also right in that most people say 'on an ad hoc basis' and
transfer
=20it to writing.

These days a lot of peoples' speech is littered with verbal junk that
has
the main function of giving our mouths something harmless to do while
our=20
brains catch up.

Myself, I avoid 'ad hoc' and replace it with 'as required' or
'as needed'.