atw: Re: Recruitment Agencies

  • From: Ken Randall <kenneth_james_randall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 21:05:43 -0800 (PST)

Yes, I agree that discrimination cases are difficult.

Furthermore, since most people do not have a disability, and
can not conceive ever having one (as I used to), there is not the
same support for discrimination legislation as for laws against
burglary etc. I am inferring that that is the explanation - I do
not have any firm evidence.

However, it can be done. I won a disability discrimination case
before the Human Rights Commission against a Federal
Government department.  I then won a Comcare claim before
the Administrative Appeals Tribunal using the same evidence (a
Comcare claim is a workers' compensation claim).  I mobilised
my characteristics as a pedant to insist that the law be
observed.

It is right to say "(Which suggests there wouldn't be too many
unsuccessful ones launched, either.)".  That is the point - this
is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  If no-one brings age or other types
of discrimination complaints then that renders the law toothless.
So step forward and sink your teeth into the discriminators.