atw: Re: Playing with the Wave

  • From: Peter Martin <peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 15:14:16 +1100

Geoff Purchase:
You wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm curious about what can be achieved with Google Wave and how it can be
> applied to
> tech writing.  I've got an account and some invites left that I'd like to
> play with if
> some of you are interested.  I have no experience with the Wave yet, so some
> of my
> suggestions below may not be possible, or could be improved once we get some
> experience.  I have a quasi-plan that is open to suggestion...

Thanks for the invite(s). I'm interested in giving it a run.

Not all that sure about user-generated reference material in this way, although
a while back I was surprised how much easier it was to get developer SMEs to
come up with useful rough drafts, provided you give them a choice of tools they
enjoy or prefer to use...     Perhaps having input from separate "black-box"
development teams contributing to something like an architecture document would
be a possible use....   at least as  a rough first draft assembly process.
(There always seem to be conflicts when it comes to discussing what happens at
plug-in points :-)  )

I'd been inclined to assume, without having seen the app, that it would be a
candidate for doc reviews and corrections etc., and presumably a deal cheaper
than distributing Acrobat Pro 7+  PDFs with commenting enabled....    But what
level of security is involved / possible ?

And if it looks as though webDAV-type doc reviews are the go,  there's the
prospect of incorporating a whole doc-bug system in something like this,
presumably.   Well, maybe.  Well, let's see....

> 1. User generated reference material.  This is something that is often
> performed by
> wikis, but I'd like to see what can be done with Waves. I'm going to create a
> wave on a
> topic that all members can edit.  I don't care too much about the topic as
> long as we
> all have some input, so how about a style guide.
>
> 2. Project documentation.  These days I work exclusively on projects, and it
> is usual
> to have several BAs, Architects, Engineers, PMs, etc all working towards a
> single
> deliverable.  This is where we have multiple authors and a single editor or
> document
> manager.  Authors should only be able to edit specified sections etc.  For
> this
> experiment I suggest a tools analysis document - Word, Frame, AuthorIT, XML,
> etc.  I'm
> quite interested in using the Wave to create the content and see how we go at
> exporting
> it in formats suitable for corporate/government environments, especially as
> they often
> have special requirements about storing deliverables.
>
> 3. Ongoing conversations.  I imagine this is similar to threads on this list,
> and we
> can keep a wave about our experiences in performing the above tasks etc.
>

> I don't expect to be putting in more than an hour a day on this, mostly on
> weekday
> evenings.
>
> I have a limited number of invitations left so first in best dressed, but
> anyone with
> an existing account is also welcome to join.  I signed up with my GMail
> account, and I
> notice they have given me a new email address in my Wave profile, so perhaps
> you should
> try geoff dot purchase dot 1969 at googlewave dot com if you have an existing
> account.
> Those wanting an invitation can also try that address, or the one used for
> this message.
>
> Just remember - you need a modern browser to use the Wave.  I'll be trying
> Firefox and
> Safari on my Mac, but IE is out as work only lets me use IE6.

-PeterM
peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with
a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's
relativity. - Albert Einstein