atw: Re: [OT] Landmark Forum - long (in more ways than 1)

  • From: "Erisa Linsky" <slinka@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:50:59 +1100

Re     awareness training.
In preference to the to the mass packaged oversimplified teachings of
Landmark....and other similar cults, try studying the works of Gurdieff (via
his faithful documentor, Ouspensky). The "thinking man's" Landmark.
However, with Gurdieff, it takes a long long time to get the hang of it.
It's no quickfix.
Also, like Christianity, Gurdieff's teachings are open to misinterpretation.
(eg his well known command; "Get rid of your personality!")

Another option is shamanistic training, such as Hawaiian shamanism.
(Polynesian)
By doing mental excercises similar to playing chess without a board, you can
build the equivalent of muscles in your mind, so the picture you imagine is
as strong and as detailed as reality, and it doesn't wobble or get
forgotten.  Just as, when you pick up a heavy bar, it doesnt wobble, and
it's not jerky, if you are trained.  (Just keep thinking about that
chessboard.  (Those Polynesians had no written language!))
Negative situations and feelings are forces of resistance to your mental
efforts, so you need stronger mental muscles to overcome them.
Examples of negative resistance:
1) Someone shouting at you when you are trying to concentrate. 2) A
desperate inner need to be proven right.

Having mastered the techniques, you then have a powerful and unfaltering
flow of purpose, which means external resistance cant dominate your
direction.  It is useful for goal setting, and also for cocktail parties.
If you're very successful at this, a by product is that you may burn less
easily, because of lowered skin conductivity, (hence the walking on fire
thing - it takes milliseconds longer for your skin to start burning.)
Another by product is that your conciousness may become a 'channel' that
carries others along with it, (again, the walking on fire thing).

Example of extreme flight and fight situation:
Imagine you are in front of a firing squad.
1) You are told, "If you can run and jump over that fence in 10 seconds,
then we wont shoot you".
Most people would run faster than they normally could, even break world
records.
Aternatively,
2) You are told, "You have 2 minutes to solve this algebra problem.  If you
fail, we will shoot you."
Many people cant do advanced problem solving under this circumstance,
because of negative resistance from their fight and flight reactions (ie:
panic).

Shamanistic training overcomes this human weakness.
It's been used for years in the Israeli airforce, and now the Americans are
using it.

Example of office situation:
The boss calls you in to his office suddenly to discuss some productivity
figures.  But the figures are misleading, and create a false impression that
you are unproductive.
Immediately  you are able to reel off a bunch of statistical and other data,
with good humour, proving to HIM (not YOU)  that he has no cause for
complaint.
This can happen when the muscle in your mind is stronger than the negative
resistance of :
 1) The fear of being fired.
 2) Your personal wimpy little feeling that it isnt 'fair'.
 3) The need to convince yourself more than the boss.
 4) The boss.

This is just one example of what Gurdieff meant when he said "Get rid of
your personality!"
(Not, as some believe, that you should turn yourself into an uncharismatic
out-to-lunch dork! )