atw: Re: Normal style in Word

  • From: "Christine Kent" <christine_kent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:24:49 +1100

This was discussed briefly on another list.  It has quite mind bending
implications for users of 2007 onwards.  If it is correct, it will actually
cause us to revise the old rule that you never use normal style.  In this
system, you ONLY use normal style and modify it with default font settings,
table settings or list settings.  All VERY strange, and quite significant
implications for old template design.

A cut from an email I wrote on that other list.

"Thinking out loud.

This is a curious new logic I will have to think through.  We have an empty
Normal.  This means that when normal is used in a table, the table style
gives the style its attributes.  When Normal is used in text, the Default
Style gives it its attributes.  Hmmmm  I wonder what happens to the list
styles in this scenario?  That will take some testing!  Can you define
enough list attributes in table styles to use the automatic lists and have
their style attributes over-ruled by the equivalent attributes in table
styles?

My head hurts.  Christine"